Somebody educate me on calibers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is the .338 Lapua, and the .338 Lapua Magnum.

I've never been able to pinpoint anybody that has developed a flinch from a Short mag or a Super short mag.

I am unaware of any non magnum version of the 338 Lapua. I've never seen any firearms or cartridges for a non mag version. In any case, I was referring to the 338 Lapua Magnum.

If you want to see just how much flinch someone has developed have them squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am unaware of any non magnum version of the 338 Lapua. I've never seen any firearms or cartridges for a non mag version. In any case, I was referring to the 338 Lapua Magnum.

If you want to see just how much flinch someone has developed have them squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber.

I'm an NRA certified instructor as well as a ranked USPSA competitor.
Part of the process to cure the flinch is to have them shoot a revo with some alternate empty chambers to let them work through it.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an internet commando! LOL.

Normally when a wildcatter produces a new cartridge, they name it after themselves, or pick a name that means something to them.
Its not a caliber thing, just a naming thing.
Lapua is a brass manufacturer, and the story goes on.

RUM is Remmington Ultra Mag.

Win mag, is Winchester magnum as in .300 win mag.

Like DH said most of those are wildcat cartridges. Especially the lazzeroni offerings. I havent heard much about those in years. They used to be all the rage.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is the .338 Lapua, and the .338 Lapua Magnum.

I know you're an expert and all, but are you sure about this, because I can't find anything about a non magnum 338 Lapua anywhere. Could you possibly be mistaking this for the 338 Norma (which is a magnum) or 338 Federal (which isn't)? If you're correct could you please post a link to some info about the cartridge because I'd like to know more about it.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most belted magnums are derivatives of some sort from the 1912, 375 H&H Magnum. In order to make the 458 Winchester Magnum, Winchester blew out nearly all of the 375 H&H case taper and neck, cut it off so it was short enough to work through a standard size bolt action, tapered it to hold a .458 bullet and thus developed a fairly modern 45 caliber magnum for dangerous game. All good, except the cartridge in it's first loadings was a little disappointing in velocity. A big time African hunter named John Lott decided to improve the basic 458 WM by not shortening the original 375 H&H case and only blowing it out to nearly full dimension to hold a .458 bullet. This new cartridge needed the use of a "magnum length" action. Since the cartridge would hold more powder, it could raise the velocity by a considerable amount, proving to be a much better performer on dangerous, heavy game in Africa. Suitable actions in 458 Win Mag can be reamed out for the 458 Lott and many have been so done. This cartridge became known as the 458 Lott.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you're an expert and all, but are you sure about this, because I can't find anything about a non magnum 338 Lapua anywhere. Could you possibly be mistaking this for the 338 Norma (which is a magnum) or 338 Federal (which isn't)? If you're correct could you please post a link to some info about the cartridge because I'd like to know more about it.

The 338 Lapua, or 338 Lapua Magnum are the same cartridge, I believe. The term magnum only being added due to it's true magnum performance instead of any reference to a belt. The 338 Lapua is not belted, but is a huge case, with huge case capacity which allows it to throw large bullets a long distance due to it's high velocity, making it a great long range military marksman round as well as a heavy, but also great long range, heavy hitter on game. My memory may be stained here, but I seem to remember the Lapua being based on the marvelous 416 caliber Rigby cartridge which does not have a belt, but could also easily qualify for most people's idea of a magnum. My connection between the Lapua and Rigby may be incorrect. I will need to look it up.

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a lot to say about these calibers and their makers..but I'll keep it short...and just my 2-cents.

The Lapua Mag was designed for military use by Namno Lapua Oy..Finnish or Swedish guy. It's a large magnum rifle claiber. Flat and accurate shooting..thats what snipers need and the 338 fits the bill.

What little I know of the Warbird..it looks and seems to be a wildcat/suped up 308..good for up to 500 yards from what I've heard.

RUM..designed by Remington..is their large rifle magnum. Comparable to a 30-378 Weatherby. A big game caliber that shouldn't need a backup rifle or extra shot to take the game down (if hit in the correct spot)..like lion, hippo, rhino, or elephant.

Win Mags...designed by Remington. ..are or are considered short rifle magnums..like the 30-06. The 264-458 are and were designed for hunting..especially North American and some African game.

LOTT..458 large rifle magnum designed for big game..especially African game.

The LOTT, RUM, WinMag, (and maybe the Warbird) were designed for hunting. Most of these calibers were compared to the 300 H&H and the 375 H&H...meaning are or were they as good as the English H&H calibers, as accurate, and as effective in killing game..especially big game.

Weatherby started out with comparing to the H&H calibers and made it..quite successfully.

There was an Oklahoman named Art Mashburn..the original Mashburn..the one who started Mashburn...waaay back.

My father would go to his shop (early '50s??) on North 13th/15th and Penn. My dad purchased two 300 Mashburn rifles and obtained the dies to load and reload. If I remember correctly...I may be remiss...it was either you could shoot a 300 Weatherby and it was fire formed for the Mashburn or maybe it was a 300 Masburn fire formed a 300 H&H. Again...look at how a lot of makers wanted to meet or exceed the H&H calibers.

From what I know and have read the H&H calibers set the standard and a lot of makers built their stuff based on them.

Just my 2cents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom