Somebody wanna pass me the ketchup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
*sigh* Well...here we are. I reckon it's time for me to man up and eat a little crow. :grumble:

For years now, I have been a Glock man and a Smith & Wesson revolver man from the word go. The only experience I ever had with a 1911 was the Springfield Armory that I had back in the early 90's. It was damn near worn out when I got it and I let a shade tree smitty install a bunch of bells and whistles on it for me. The end result was an iron that looked good but shot ******. :disappoin It left a really bad taste in my mouth for many, many years.

My early years here at OSA were filled with cocked & locked bashing every chance I got. I thought ol' slabsides was an ancient artifact that was best meant for it's pure beauty and NOT for concealed carry applications. I thought they were outdated and extremely over priced. Part of me still feels like they are extremely over priced. I mean - $2500 for a pistol? :ugh2: C'mon! :scratch:

Anyway...

About a week or so ago, I obtained a Smith & Wesson Commander length model 1911Sc (Thanks Al! :thumb:). I had my heart set on a S&W Gunsite edition, but this one is practically the same gun. After I changed out the FLGR for a short one, I basically had a Gunsite model...it just didn't have the brass bead front sight and the raven on the side of the slide.

After a good spit and polish, I headed to the range this weekend. :naughty:

I gotta say. I've shot some accurate little pistols in my day, but I've NEVER had one that would just chew up one raggedy hole in the paper with the very first mag full. Seriously. I've shot many a gun over the years, and it's always taken me two or three shots to find where the gun is hitting. Not with this .45! The very first round I fired was dead center. So was the next one...and the next one...and the next one... :blahblah:

After a 50 round box of ammo (Blazer Brass 230gr FMJ) I had a pattern that was about 1.5 inches. I literally had zero fliers and the pattern didn't spread at all. Just one big, raggedy hole in the paper. I was astonished to say the least.

Now then. Being that this is an Airweight model (Scandium frame) 50 rounds was about all I wanted to do. :rolleyes2 Call me a sissy, but the last .45 I had was a Smith & Wesson 4566. With it's all stainless steel construction, a simple PUSH was all you felt. With this Scandium framed Commander size pistol, recoil was there. It wasn't real violent and it wasn't really snappy, but yeah...you felt it. I also did not have a single fart in the 50 rounds I fired. Granted the slide got a little slow and sticky on the last mag full, but I think that was just due to the dirtiness of the pistol.

Now the "bad" part. :hey3:

I'll probably carry this thing every now and then, but I still favor my revolvers and my Glock for absolute, dead-nuts, knock ya down/drag ya out, dependability. After I've fired a few more rounds and done a few more drills with it, maybe. But for now, it's still the gun I show my friends while the Glock is the gun I show my enemies. ;)

So. In closing I just gotta say, I think I have a keeper here.

Zip, zip, zip...flame suit on! :respect:

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats, buddy. I knew you'd like this gun better than the one you had "way back when"

If you think you like shooting it, wait until you carry it. Nothing carries like a Commander 1911!

Welcome to the club.

BC

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome home! I too carry a Glock or a S&W or a 1911 depending on my mood and situation. All will get the job done but the 1911 is always my "go to gun!" Sounds like you have a keeper.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats, buddy. I knew you'd like this gun better than the one you had "way back when"

If you think you like shooting it, wait until you carry it. Nothing carries like a Commander 1911!

Welcome to the club.

BC

Yeah, now the hard part starts...

Finding the right holster! :yikes2:

Welcome home! I too carry a Glock or a S&W or a 1911 depending on my mood and situation. All will get the job done but the 1911 is always my "go to gun!" Sounds like you have a keeper.

It just feels so right in the hand. After totin' a Glock for damn near 20 years, it has just about ruined my chances at any other gat. Not that the Grock feels good in the hand mind you - quite the contrary! :nono1:

But it's because I've carried one and fired one so damned much, that my hand has become "accustomed" to the polymer beast. :pissed:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Grock"? Is that a shot at EF9Turbo?

No, it's actually a shot at a deputy I used to know.

He had a slight speech impediment that kept him from saying his L's. So he carried a Grock .40, he wore a navy brue uniform, when it was election time, he asked, "how's the sheriff's erection coming along?" :rollingla

We gave him hell. :pms2:

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gee, next week when you decide to trade it off I want dibs, got a nice little j frame with your name on it.

Seriously, sounds like a nice one, you need to make it one of your keepers. I think Brownells has Summer Specials in stock for around 80 bucks, that's what I would get.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gee, next week when you decide to trade it off I want dibs, got a nice little j frame with your name on it.

Seriously, sounds like a nice one, you need to make it one of your keepers. I think Brownells has Summer Specials in stock for around 80 bucks, that's what I would get.

I just might do that. I kinda like the Executive's Companion better.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may be right on there, the Executive Companion looks like it may be a little more comfortable, but I've not had any experience with one. That said anything from Milt Sparks should be quality and if you don't like it, should be easy to resale.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You may be right on there, the Executive Companion looks like it may be a little more comfortable, but I've not had any experience with one. That said anything from Milt Sparks should be quality and if you don't like it, should be easy to resale.

I just ordered a Milt Sparks Summer Special from Brownells.

Thanks for the tip Chas! :thumb:

If I don't like it, I'll offer it up for trade for an EC later on.

I wonder...does the belt loops on the SS and the EC both interchange with each other? Meaning, can you put the EC belt loops on the SS holster? Because I have a 1.75" belt loop for an EC that I would live to put it on my new SS I just ordered.

I just wear a 1.75" belt more than I do a 1.5 incher. :ugh2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom