South Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back from South Africa plains game hunt. Awesome time. Shot 2 Kudu, 2 Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog, Springbok, a lot of waterfowl, and a #$%load of rock pigeons.
i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0453.jpg
i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0513.jpg
i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0505_1.jpg
i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0549.jpg

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
REALLY nice trophies!

Looks like a BIG gemsbok, is it a bull?? How long were the horns??

Who did you hunt with??

Details on the rifle and load??
Gemsbok above is a female. Right at 40 in. The females have longer horns but not as much mass as bulls. Here's the bull I shot. Watched him and another fight for 20 mins. After shooting him found that one horn was 4-5 ins. shorter than other and hide torn up from fighting. Guide let me shoot another for nothing. Can't beat that.
i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0499_1.jpg

Hunted with ingwe-safaris.com. The booking agent is a buddy of mine and lives here in Claremore.

All animals shot with Rem 700 Mountain rifle in 30-06 with Barnes TTSX 180 gr. handloads. Everything one shot kills except for a miss and one kudu shot too high in his hump. Second shot dropped him in tracks. As long as I did my part the 30-06 performed perfectly. Only recovered one bullet on impala. Chest shot that penetrated to hindquarter.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I killed a 39" gemsbok bull in Namibia several years ago. For me, the gemsbok is the prettiest antelope in Africa. Hard to choose between the Kudu and the Gemsbok, but the color contrast of the black, tan and white of the gemsbok really appeals to me.

I hope to make it back to Africa in the next few years.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be an ignorant question, you don't have to answer if you don't want to but I'm sure others want to know.

What does a hunt like this set a guy back?

What are the rules/regs/are there any on game that can be taken over there? You did a good bit of harvesting of a variety of animals it sounds like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom