South Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Very nice!! I've got a couple of friends who've been and keep trying to get me to go. Prices can be suprisingly pretty reasonable.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be an ignorant question, you don't have to answer if you don't want to but I'm sure others want to know.

What does a hunt like this set a guy back?

What are the rules/regs/are there any on game that can be taken over there? You did a good bit of harvesting of a variety of animals it sounds like.
Not ignorant at all! Be glad to answer anything about it. I went through ingwe-safaris.com. Main reason is a buddy of mine is the booking agent. Even though he's a buddy, I didn't get any special deals. What I paid will be the same as you pay. Other safari firms that I had looked at offered similar rates and fees. For 8 days, 1 on 1 guide, five animal package(Kudu, Gemsbok, Blesbok, Springbok, Impala), with all meals and accomodations. $5200 . Normally it's a 6 day hunt. I added 2 days for wingshooting. That $5200 paid for everything while I was there. Of course, you will have airfare costs, trophy preparation and shipping costs, and such. But altogether, I figured total cost is less than $10,000.

Now, that was for the 5 animals listed. Anything additional you want, they have an a-la-carte menu listing trophy fees. For example, I wanted a warthog. $300 If you wanted a zebra, $1300. My extra kudu was $1200. All the countries there have different regs but in South Africa the trophy fee is paid to the landowner not the government. You can hunt anything you want there. All it takes is money. If you want to shoot a lion, be prepared for $50-60 grand. But if you're a working class guy like me, you can still go there and have an incredible experience.

I have read about and been fascinated with Africa for 20 yrs. and have kept up with the costs to go. Dangerous game keeps getting more expensive but plains game is very reasonable. Check the site above and google some others. A lot of outfitters and all of them are pretty close to same price.

Bottom line: Don't think it's beyond your means to go. If you hunt a lot you probably spend that much in a couple years hunting here. Borrow the money and go!

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I killed a 39" gemsbok bull in Namibia several years ago. For me, the gemsbok is the prettiest antelope in Africa. Hard to choose between the Kudu and the Gemsbok, but the color contrast of the black, tan and white of the gemsbok really appeals to me.
That'd be a very nice bull. Totally agree with the appeal of the Gemsbok. The Kudu and Gemsbok were the primary animals I wanted. Just by chance I was able to take two of each. Those Gemsbok just look awesome to me.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great looking animals!! I'm sure you had a blast...

Was just at my Dentists office yesterday and he finally got his Kudu & Gemsbok mounts back from an African hunt he went on 3 years back. They look fantastic!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom