Speer short barrel Gold Dots...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like many of you, I like the Speer short barrel Gold Dot +Ps for my carry round in all of my snubbies. I'm lucky enough that my local gun shop keeps a few boxes in stock for me. I've always used the 135gr load, but recently he got in a few boxes of the 125gr flavor.

Is there any big significance in one load/slug weight over the other? :ugh2:

And let's not turn this into a debate over what load is better than the Speer Gold Dot. I'm sure many of you prefer "brand X" over the Speer and some like the SWCHP over the jacketed rounds. :blahblah:

Let's try to stay on track, m'kay? :rolleyes2

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know - I kinda like the 500-grain Platinum Dots myself... :P

Actually, I've got a few boxes of - oh wait, that's 9mm 124-grain +P Short-Barreled Gold Dots I have, so never mind.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GED...I just looked at my info from the CCI wound ballistics workshop that I was lucky enough to attend a few years ago and generally in Gold Dot there isnt that much difference in performance vs. weight. Shooting into geleatin the heavys penetrated a little less but only an inch or so overall. Expansion was the same. Of course the lighter bullet has a little more velocity but not enough that the bad guy will notice. I personally carry the 124 over the 147 in my G17 but that is just my personal opinion.The lighter bullet might recoil a little more but again I dont think youll see a big differance.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what Ive read, the Speer Gold Dot +P in 135grain is only available in a short case. No idea about the 125 being short only.

All I know about +P is that my dad told me not to shoot any 147 in +P in my .38. Period. So I shoot 125 and carry it for SD,HD. I blow the **** out of milk jugs filled with water with it.

If the Gold Dot 125s are cheaper than the CorBon Ive been buying then I would be interested in buying and trying some. They come as highly recommended from what Ive read.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep GED I just looked them up on their website. The 125's are in the "Personal Protection" line. The 135's are the Short Barrel load. Just like I thought. I always get the 135's for my snubs. :thumb:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just chrono'd a cylinder full of the Short Barrel 135 grain loads through a S&W 442 today.

Amazingly enough they were right where Speer claims. At about 15 feet they averaged 850 FPS. Nice to see the numbers match up out of an actual gun in the wild. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom