Sporterized 1903 dilemma…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it shoots accurately with Iron Sights, I suggest that you have a Gunsmith mount a Picatinny Rail instead of drilling and mounting Scope Rings….then mount a scope with an ARMS Mount and Rings..

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody keeps talking flaming pisspot. Looks like its had at least 6 inches cut of so that's irrelevant
And if it's not the original barrel. they were dirt cheap in the 50's-60's

Josh P

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man it’s already Sporterized, I would tap it and be done. You can by the kit from brown wells and do it yourself. Alittle putty under your mounts measure, level , and tap. If you’re worried it’s not that pricey to have it done by someone else. Ed’s right barrels not original bolts been turned any original value is gone. The good news is you have a really nice action with a proper length barrel already done. Tap it and now you’ve got a bad as probably 30-06. As good as it looks the only thing I would consider would be if you know a good smith maybe a rechamber, but honestly with modern ammo and powder is prolly just tap it be done.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 - verify caliber. Making a sporting rifle from an old military piece was popular in the 50's and 60's. Some were done better than others and good cosmetic work does not mean the gun will shoot well. Also, people did a lot of things we would not consider today. Experimental chambers are out there.

Assuming its properly head spaced and you can get ammo

2 - take it to a range and see what it will do. The military actions were made with technology that's pushing 100 or more years old. Chances are it won't punch cloverleafs, but will shoot well enough for 100 yard shots a deer. Someone who wanted a nice custom sporting rifle had it made, so it was probably well cared for and shot a fair amount. Remember that gun may look nice, but it was used when it was converted to a sporting arm and probably has 50 years of shooting in it.

3 - Do not worry about the collectors value with regards to drilling and tapping for a scope. As long as the work is professional it will not drop the value. Sure, a period correct set of rings and bases would be a nice touch. Sporterized Mausers and Springfields are common enough that they don't command a lot of interested beyond their utility. Many were scoped years ago and it increases their utility.

As a practical matter, look at the bolt handle position when its turned up. - It may collide with a scope. If that's the case, it may not be cost effective to add a scope because your looking at a lot of additional work to bend the bolt handle and alter the stock.

4 - If it has not been done, a good drop in adjustable trigger would be a better investment than a scope if you're trying to improve the group size.

Familyguy

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t yet put a scope on top to check clearance mainly because my scopes are sighted in on other things… I did think about collision with optics though and I don’t want to have to alter the stock of possible. A drop in trigger may help a little but I’m trying to reasonably come to a conclusion whether or not to mount a scope on it. Running the cost benefit analysis knowing since it’s modified it won’t carry that much value except for the great shape it’s in

Latest posts

Top Bottom