Lever / Bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To fully disclose, the lever was a Browning, the bolt a REM 700. I really, really wanted to love the Browning. The REM 700 was just hands down nicer. I have since taken down the Browning and Rem and given them both a good clean and lube, the smith who had done it missed the triggers and the bolt on the lever. Really poor job. We still chose the REM 700 after the cleaning, it was just so much nicer in our hands. For game at 400 yards I will grab the REM 700, for 200 and under I am sticking with a Savage 99. The Savage is that much nicer to me than the Browning. Your results will likely vary.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems you either like the lever or the bolt better. And whichever it is you are perfectly correct. And perfectly wrong.

We tried two old ones out this weekend. Both 70s, both major well regarded manufacturers. We both wanted to love the lever. I truly wanted to love the lever. We both leaned into the bolt, it was just easier and smoother.

Three scopes. Leupold, Nikon, Redfield. All similar price ranges when new twenty plus years ago. We liked the Nikon hands down. Redfield and Leupold neck and neck.

Hitting without issues with both to 100 yards. Many rounds in same holes.

But truly, I wanted to love the lever, I will pick up that specific bolt over that lever ten out of ten times.

How about y’all?
From this Sunday afternoon: my Swiss K31 straight pull bolt action, PRVI ammunition, 100 yards, shooting from a sandbag, using open sights. This was a 2.75" 5-shot group. The top left shot was from my buddy's turn.

I really enjoy old military bolt actions. The lever-action guns--not so much.

Attachments

• 20240225_135714.jpg
    20240225_135714.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 1

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, the Savage 99 lever action is the best deer rifle ever designed. The rotary magazine allows for use of pointed bullets, so the 99 loses no range to a bolt action. The lever action allows for very fast operation without needing to move one’s head away from the stock. They are not heavy, shoulder very well, and carry easy. I wish Savage would put them back in production.
I agree with much you say. I have a couple of '94 levers I enjoy and have wanted a Savage 99 for a while (rotary yeah!). I have found a 99 standard grade in good shape in .243 and am contemplating but really want the 250-3000 in a take down ($$$). the only problem with the Savage 99 is the same for all levers. They'll never have a trigger like the bolts.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m with you! I’ve owned a few lever guns and wound up selling or trading all of them.

Just like you mentioned, I also really wanted to like them lol… I love the cool factor. But when it boils down to the actual shooting I do, I’ll take a bolt or semi every time.

My lever guns just wind up being safe queens

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, the Savage 99 lever action is the best deer rifle ever designed. The rotary magazine allows for use of pointed bullets, so the 99 loses no range to a bolt action. The lever action allows for very fast operation without needing to move one’s head away from the stock. They are not heavy, shoulder very well, and carry easy. I wish Savage would put them back in production.
The BLR kind of fits this description, too. The removable magazine is a plus Cousin shoots one in .270. Very nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom