Squirrel hunting without killing a mama?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife used to love to watch the furry little fiends scamper along the top of the wood fence. They were so cute! Until they made entry into the attic through the soffit. Now, she ain't so crazy about them.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Launch into a small creek that runs through a WMA - squirrels love creek bottom trees and quietly floating through is very effective.
I cant believe I haven't thought of that. Coasting along in a canoe beats the hell out of stomping through the forest, or with my luck, finding myself in the middle of another field of stinging nettles.
I shot a turkey once. Remember where I said I'd take a butt woopin over cleaning a squirrel? I'd clean a squirrel over a turkey any day.
Haha well that doesn't sound fun at all. I'm a sucker for a miserable time, I may have to try my luck. is wearing crazy expensive camo and having a bunch of calls a requirement for shooting turkeys, or can it be done with less?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least in central OK, I cant think of a stream or creek that I have seen in the past few years that you couldn't just step out of the canoe and be more than knee deep.
I spent a good while looking for one that fell in about 6-8 inches of running water. It had washed up against a limb about the same diameter. :D

Soaking wet squirrels are a really drab color.
:drunk2:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could probably use the airgun from a boat back in the little river. But there are some 20+ foot holes in there so I would not get out of the boat unless I was going to shore LOL. It would be hard to get a clean shot though from water though.

ALSO, why are they pain to skin? I've never done it but I have watched a few vids that make it look easy?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could probably use the airgun from a boat back in the little river. But there are some 20+ foot holes in there so I would not get out of the boat unless I was going to shore LOL. It would be hard to get a clean shot though from water though.

ALSO, why are they pain to skin? I've never done it but I have watched a few vids that make it look easy?
Man, its like taking someones shirt and pants off.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Never thought about skinnin' being a problem. From the time I was around 8, I'd hold 'em and Dad did the knife work. Goes pretty fast with two people.

Main thing is to keep hair off the meat.
:drunk2:

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come over, set a trap, u can take them home, start your own colony. Heck, I'll catch them and call ya. If you're not too far I'll deliver. I cant tell u how much i cant stand them. I loose to much paint on the house every year due to them crawling around.
I've thought about getting a recurve and having practice. Problem is they run the tops of the fence and too many windows in range not to mention woof woof.

i would love to help you get rid of them....i will relocate them to my freezer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom