Steel shot in what guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been away from this for awhile but was wondering what the rules for steel shot are and what guns can you shoot it from? I was told at bass pro only guns stating steel shot was ok to shoot. That would make a ton of old guns not worthless for hunting. Anywho Im sure one of you knows the answer out there.

Thanks
Kris

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
"Most" shotguns from around 1975 on "should" handle steel fine as long as it has an open choke. DO NOT use steel in full choke guns of that era. I would hesitate to use it in Mod choke guns. The steel does not conform at the choke like lead will. When a steel load get to a full choke it is forced through without compressing to a given shape. This is what causes the "bulge" in older full choke guns. That being said, the only time i shoot anything but imp. cyl. is for turkey. On occasion i will change to mod. on pheasant. Hope this helps.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you reload, Ballistic Products steel wads are safe in most guns that aren't full choke.

As to older guns now being worthless, lots of hunting can still be done with lead shot, and there are other lead free alternatives besides steel. They are expensive, but so are new shotguns. The alternatives shoot much like lead. Bismuth and tungsten are two options. Both of these are safe in any conventional gun. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom