Steel shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reserve20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know about shooting steel shot out of a Modified barrell? I have a Ithica 16 gauge with a mod. barrel, and would like to shoot duck and pheasant with it. Would appreciate the input. Thanks.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you plan to do a whole lot of shooting, you might be better off to research nontoxic shot that is less likely to damage the barrel. Also, the newer (read more expensive) shot performs about like lead. You will learn to hate steel shot, particularly in the 16 since your volume of shot is necessarily limited. I have been away from waterfowl hunting for a while, but bismuth and tungsten matrix are two players. I thing there is something called "heavi-shot" available now, but I suspect the 16 ga options are quite limited.

Steel shot works best in the mighty ten ga. CB

<edit> I think you can still use lead on pheasant in most locations, and if you can, don't fool with steel.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Availability would be the issue. I just looked on Midwayusa and they do not list selling a steel shot load for 16 gauge. The do sell Hevi-shot which will meet the requirements for duck hunting. $3.50+ a shot.

Try fed premium buffered #5's for the pheasants.

Reserve20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like I'm limited on the shells I can shoot. About all public hunting areas are non tox shot. Makes it hard to hunt quail with a 16. Probably going to look for a 12 soon. Thanks for the info.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I'm limited on the shells I can shoot. About all public hunting areas are non tox shot. Makes it hard to hunt quail with a 16. Probably going to look for a 12 soon. Thanks for the info.

I have a lot of shotguns, but my favorite is the 16 guage.
Can't point to any specific reasons, but when the Sweet 16 comes to shoulder, something usually hits the ground.:D
There is ammo out there. Almost all of my lead, pheasant/ quail loads come from walmart.
Go online and check with Midway USA, Cheaper than Dirt, Sportsmans guide, etc to see whats out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom