Stevens 12g SxS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadesdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a Stevens 5100 (series 1) 12g double barrel side by side and it's in rough condition. Barrel has a good ding on the end and the stock has some stress cracks.

I'm thinking about replacing the furniture with polymer, chopping the barrel down a bit, and parkerizing the metal.

Anybody have a lead on the polymer furniture? Everything I find is wood.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a Stevens 311 junkie (have the complete set) and the 5100 is very similar and IIRC uses the same stock. There were 2 variants to the stock so you'll need to figure out which one your gun takes if you decide to replace the stock. However, on the issue of polymer furniture for these shotguns, I'm unaware of any. The production of these guns started back in the 50s and they were nothing more than the "working man's double" so there was never an aftermarket accessories craze for them.

I have one that I did the stock in black lacquer since the rest of the gun is all nickel plated. Just thought of something: how 'bout coating the stock in bedliner spray? It would add a little weight but could be cool for a home defense double.

As far as the cracks, get some 1/8" dowels and drill a hole through the crack. Dip the dowel in epoxy and push it into the hole. Clamp the thing together and after drying, trim off the ends of the dowel flush with the stock. If you coated the stock with paint or bedliner spray, the repair is pretty much invisible.

Cadesdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks of the info. It is a series 1 stock, mounts flush with no lip.

I'm trying to lighten up the gun so I don't think I'll put bed liner on it, but that's a great last resort if I can't find any synthetic options.

Do you know what the 16g version is worth? In fair to poor condition, with a cracked stock? I'm eying one for $150

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought one that is fairly rough and paid more than than for it. If it is in shootable condition for that price, I'd snap it up. The 16 gauge Stevens doubles are not nearly as common as the 12s and 20s. The .410s are a whole other matter. ;-).

Latest posts

Top Bottom