Stillwater Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would like a gun range in Stillwater?

• Yes

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

jtyler05si

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I searched and I found a few threads about Stillwater's lack of a gun range. there seems to be a lot of people that would love to see an optional pay by day gun range here in town. I would like to just get some numbers of how many supporters there are on here, and rejectors also.

stillwater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would support it.

There is the Stillwater club out at McMurty but they require a yearly membership (It was $100 last time I checked). They require most members to complete a rangemaster course unless you want to shoot when another trained member is there and they're restrictive on guests.

There is also the Pawnee range but, its a drive and it is hit or miss as to whether there will be a couple of bubbas with shotties out there.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, here is the website of the current outdoor gun range in the Stillwater area (Lake McMurty area): www.srpc.info

Annual dues for 1 member is $45 a year for unlimited access with a $100 (one time, first year) range development fee. Additional family members are $10 per year. Access to the shotgun skeet range (regulation skeet range, you supply the clays) is an additional $30 per year.

I would welcome a daily alternative range in the area (even though I have been a happy SRPC member for several years). Sometimes people just want to go shooting on short notice and SRPC doesn't work well for that. For regular shooters though, SPRC is a good option IMHO. The Range Officer deal is every member is trained to be a range officer (and oriented to the range); this satisfies the insurance requirement that a range officer always be present when someone is shooting.

For additional reference, this is the website of the Ponca City rifle club (also a yearly membership range): http://www.poncarpc.org/

peteraugusts

New to the site!
Reaction score
I think most of people will like to have gun range in stillwater.If you are on the way from Tulsa if you take Highway 33 there is a gun range right after the turnpike junction around Kellyville.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having something a little closer to town. Right now I go to Pawnee to shoot, which is about a 30 min. drive -- they have a free range at their City Lake. Yeah, there are sometimes other people out there, but its no big deal -- everybody I've ever ran into out there is pretty good about letting you go downrange and post targets, etc... unless the cops are out there qualifying, in which case they take up the whole range.

I like to shoot 25m Army Qualification Tests and other 25m reduced size targets, so I usually go up to the 25m line. If other people are there, I can shoot from the 100 yard line and put a cardboard box or something out at 25m to staple targets to, so no big deal.

But if there was something like that closer to home, I'd be all about it.

I doubt anybody's going to open a free range in Stillwater anytime soon though! ranges like the one in Pawnee are really rare.

Its not worth it for me to join the SRPC because of their policy on guests. You're not supposed to bring guests more than 2 times per year, and can't bring more than 3 at one time. I like to try to get people interested in marksmanship, so I frequently bring more than 3 people with me to the range.

I'm actually probably going to join the Oklahoma City Gun Club in Arcadia. Its less than an hour from Stillwater, and it has MUCH better facilities than anything the SRPC has... they have a full high power range that goes out to 600 yds with pits and raising/lowering target rigs, and all kinds of other great facilities for just about every discipline of shooting you could imagine. I guess they care a little more about promoting marksmanship, because they let you bring guests. No need to check in at a ranger station or any of that crap like you have to deal with at SRPC. Its a private range, not city or state owned. So no cops are going to show up unannounced and kick you off the range, which I hear is a problem at SRPC.

I've also heard from another member on here there is a pretty good range in Enid, that has a 650 yd. rifle range, among other things... anybody know any more about that? I'm going to to check it out one of these weekends soon. Enid is about the same distance away as Arcadia is though, and I doubt that range is any better than OKCGC.

Soon I'll be making enough money to buy some land, and then I won't have to worry about it. But when I have built my 1000 yard range in my back yard, anybody who has come to an Appleseed will be welcome to come out and keep up their skills... as long as I can come out and shoot any cool-looking guns you bring with you! I will also be holding regular events. So just wait a few years guys... I've gotta find a decent job and pay off some student loans and stuff, but after that, its on!

boomerzz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good thing about the stillwater range is that you can shoot however you want.

Moving, at metal targets, practicing from a draw... oh... I miss that...

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought some guy posted on here a year or so ago that he was opening a
tactical/concealed carry training/public range in stillwater.
Must have fell thru or was just wishfull thinking on his part, since nobody seems to have heard of it.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought some guy posted on here a year or so ago that he was opening a
tactical/concealed carry training/public range in stillwater.
Must have fell thru or was just wishfull thinking on his part, since nobody seems to have heard of it.

This would be the place: http://www.oklahomaconcealedcarry.com/
Have driven out to where it is supposed to be but found no signs of the business. According to the internet they exist. Might have given them some business if I could find them.

The class schedule on their website indicates they are in business.

Robertson07

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This would be the place: http://www.oklahomaconcealedcarry.com/
Have driven out to where it is supposed to be but found no signs of the business. According to the internet they exist. Might have given them some business if I could find them.

The class schedule on their website indicates they are in business.

They do exist, but he only does "open range" on most Saturdays for a certain period of time. As it gets nicer outside it will probably occur more often. It is usually listed on his website when it will be available, or you can get on his email list and he will email you the information.

That is where I took my CC class and I highly recommend it. It is a nice clean outdoor range.

jtyler05si

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do exist, but he only does "open range" on most Saturdays for a certain period of time. As it gets nicer outside it will probably occur more often. It is usually listed on his website when it will be available, or you can get on his email list and he will email you the information.

That is where I took my CC class and I highly recommend it. It is a nice clean outdoor range.

I google mapped them. Is that where the range is also? Also it says "closed" on the schedule for open range shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom