Range safety and etiquette- ground strikes and ricochets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I make a lot of shooting tongue in cheek threads, but this one is serious as a heart attack.

If you put targets on the ground like this... like I found today at the range...

1000012849-3067851.jpg

make sure they are close enough to a back stop that the ground strikes will strike the berm. Most would be surprised how much of an angle upwards they can get when ricocheting off of the ground.

1000012844-3067855.jpg

I can guarantee some of his projectiles went over that berm.

Stray bullets are bad, bad news.

They can shut down a range and hurt our gun rights when they cause injury or damage.

Put your ground targets close to the berm and even use a side berm if you need to.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was VP at the Ponca Gun range for thee years and President for 4 more years. I can't tell you how much baffonery goes on at an outdoor range. We try to be the range with as few rules as possible but never on safety. Every bay has a safety board with the requirements to shoot on that bay spelled out with pics even. All targets have to be on the berm between 2-7 feet on a 20' berm.
Fortunately, our drop out for the rifle bays is 4 miles, but you never know if a farmer or someone driving down the road is going to take an errant round that left the range.
I've been on the pistol bays hearing rifle rounds going over the berm and hauled butt around there to see what was going on. Most of the time it was targets put on the ground that skipped and left the range. Golf balls thrown out on the range to chase around and so on.
I've fired enough tracer rounds back in the day to actually witness how many rounds fired on flat ground go at crazy angles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom