storm lake 40s&w-9mm conversion barrel question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bought a conversion barrel for my M&Pc 40. Got it today, supposed to be a drop in fit, put it in and have trouble racking the slide back. When I slide it back it sticks. I get it back to the slide release but it doesn't even lock onto the release it just sticks. I have greased it and slide it back and forth multiple times and it continues to do this. Do I just need to shoot it and "break it in"? Everything looks like it should work. The barrel matches the 40 barrel to a T. Any help would be appreciated. Mike or any other smiths please chime in and let me know what you think. Thanks OSA.

Heading to H&H tomorrow to shoot and was hoping to try this barrel out, please advise before I do something I might regret.:buttkick::oops3:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to pick on you now---
Many people I know who have gotten "drop in" aftermarket barrels have had serious reliability problems.
Everybody I know who has bought the original manufacturer's barrels rated for the same frame, it worked.
So your aftermarket barrel may need some careful fitting before it is reliable.

Murphy's law corollary # 72: Drop ins don't.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to pick on you now---
Many people I know who have gotten "drop in" aftermarket barrels have had serious reliability problems.
Everybody I know who has bought the original manufacturer's barrels rated for the same frame, it worked.
So your aftermarket barrel may need some careful fitting before it is reliable.

Murphy's law corollary # 72: Drop ins don't.

thanks for the info. I would have bought a factory conversion, but there is no such thing. It may be making a trip to mikes to be fitted properly.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I get it back to the slide release but it doesn't even lock onto the release it just sticks. I have greased it and slide it back and forth multiple times and it continues to do this

if its doing this, then dont shoot it.

take it apart and check to see how the recoil guide rod assembly is sitting on the front side of the barrel lug.
Sounds like its not seated properly.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if its doing this, then dont shoot it.

take it apart and check to see how the recoil guide rod assembly is sitting on the front side of the barrel lug.
Sounds like its not seated properly.

Everything was seated correctly. I did however find that the front of the hood was wedging itself against the underside of the slide causing it first to not rack all the way back to the lock and second to stick once slide back.

I compared the profile of the stock 40 barrel and the new 9mm conversion and you could see i slight (.5mm) difference in the slope of the front of the hood. I milled it down and polished it, fixing the problem. It now functions properly and contacts the underside of the slide just as it is intended to. It cycles ammo properly, locks properly, and all in all seems to operate correctly.

I will take it to the range today and test it to make sure that under operation it functions as it should, otherwise I will have to let Mike play with it.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrel shot flawlessly and Hella accurate. Very impressed with this compact, and with the quality of barrel. I think mine just had a little goof on the final fit. Mike with Accurate says these are great barrels that drop in flawlessly. But like with everything someones gonna get a turd, but atleast it was a very minor fix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom