Storm season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a Jim Giles in our garage. Did not want the in ground as it could be hard for dogs and grand mothers to enter. Well, I guess they can fall in but getting out is tough. Our house is split level so the shelter is actually under ground on two sides.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not that an F5+ can't happen anywhere, but I would have to look at my location as well as the physical needs of getting into an above ground vs an in ground shelter. If I'm living in Moore, OK, along I-44, I-40 east and west of OKC, Cleveland, Canadian, Oklahoma Counties, etc.......I'm saving my pennies for an in ground. History as already repeated itself too many times. Skiatook, Collinsville, Ramona areas, hasn't been a hotbed for F5's or really any tornadoes in comparison to the rest of the state. We have our share of tornadoes too, but not the high concentration of violent tornadoes that occur in a 60 miles radius of OKC. The site where our home is now, the original home was leveled in the late 90's by an F3, we have a giant in ground shelter in the NW corner of the garage. The original owner spent a couple hours down there with his truck on the door. As stated earlier above, any built tornado shelter is better than none.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to the Tulsa home & garden show this weekend. I stood in several "above ground" units and that sealed the deal for me, I don't think we'll be going that route. The in-garage floor units seemed really small. Like others have noted, they really do feel like you're in a coffin. I'm going with In-ground concrete outside. I really wish I could find someone just to build an old cellar like I was used to as a kid..is anyone even making those anymore?

jcj1407

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Searched and read over and over still undecided..in the market for a storm room. I think we want an above ground unit in the garage but most on here seem to favor in the garage floor. The outdoor inground units are tried and true it seems but not sure how I feel about having to exit the house during a storm. Can anyone elaborate on why they chose what the did and any regrets. I'm north of tulsa and have a post tension slab if this matters.

We pour 2-3 post tension house slabs per week and some of our customers, including my parents, have put in ground shelters in there garages since this past May. You will need a post tension company to be on site during the excavation of the slab for the shelter. Cost for this and to re-stress the cables effected cost $350-$500 in the OKC area. Oklahoma Post Tension in Tulsa probably can perform this service for you.

It is true that mis-handling of the cables can lead to serious injury but a good stressing company should be able to handle your needs quickly and with no changes to your home. There's approx 33,000 lbs of stress on the cables but the actual elongation of the cable is not as long as one would think to achieve that number. The stressing company can show the shelter company exactly where the cables are and how to cut them. Most shelter companies are familiar with the process. One major thing is to not let any of them talk you out of having the cut cables anchored and stressed correctly. They are integral to your slab design and need to be re-tensioned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom