Need new 5 ton HVAC system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I already have two estimates and my eyeballs are bigger than my wallet.

Out problems we have in the current system -

1. 1970's home built on slab with ductwork manufactured with concrete and asbestos.

2. The existing system was installed in 2006. It is not on it's last legs but is giving us problems.

3. Sand is invading the home through the ducts. ( I had the ductwork checked yesterday with a camera and it will cost the same to repair the ducts as it will to run all new into the attic.

4. The mental midget that designed the existing system placed a return directly above a floor register so the new attic registers will correct this.

5. The heater was giving us problems before and during the cold snap not letting the gas valve turn on after three attempts finally shutting down causing a manual reset. Happened about 5 times during the entire time of several weeks.

6. The outside unit needed R22 and has a restriction in the underground line to the coil in the house unit which is currently in the garage.

7. The drain in the garage unit overflows due to the underground valve getting slimed and has to be manually cleaned with a plastic brush.

Positive points about the house.

A little over 2K square ft.

We have two points of access to the attic, one pull down ladder in the garage with a lightbulb on a pull chain and you have to crawl around, the other pull down ladder with a new plywood floor I installed last year with electrical and lighting.

Three existing 24" by 12" returns.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a new American Standard system installed in 2018. Nothing you are looking at, reused my existing duct work, replaced everything else including new copper line sets. 3 ton 16 seer with a 95% effecient gas furnace.

American standard is made by Trane, has Trane labeling all over it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Run new ducting in the attic and cement seal all floor ducts. I did that and it was the best thing I did on the new install. New system cut my cooling bill by about 60% as near as I can tell. I only installed a 14 SEER unit but was getting about 16+ SEER because they were able to locate vents and returns strategically and use an upgraded coil. Do this instead of using the uber efficiency whatever SEER rated unit of the day. My installer told me it would take the life of the unit for it to pay back the price increase. This doesn't apply to the gas heat though, just the A/C.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^^Our last house had ducts in the floor. We had to replace the heater/fan. Next year the ducts leaked sand and we had to concrete the ducts and install in the ceiling and replace heater/fan with an upflow unit. I feel your pain, it was costly. We had to replace AC with a 14seer unit and they are very efficient compared to older AC units. Our electric bill was greatly reduced.

My son had to replace his complete unit also, pays to get at least two estimates. One company was about $5k more than the other for same name unit.

Saw on the news today there will be shortages of AC parts coming this summer. They estimated it could take weeks to get some parts that are on backlog.

Last edited:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hvac has changed a bunch since the 70"s. there is some pretty interesting new stuff. there are even some little units that you can mount all over and don't need ductwork anymore.

YUP.. of course NOTHING is inexpensive anymore.. The 48 broilers we're raising will be split with the ac guy who will recharge our unit again.. 20 chickens = ac service..

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My personal opinion of anyone that puts a air handler in the attic needs their head bashed in. Have you ever been in the attic in the summer. I've been in a few that I didn't know if I was going to make it out working on a/c systems. Package system outside with duct ran in attic, ok. duct in attic with air handler/furnace in a closet, ok. Just don't put the whole thing in an attic. It sucks @ss when you have to work on the thing.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal opinion of anyone that puts a air handler in the attic needs their head bashed in. Have you ever been in the attic in the summer. I've been in a few that I didn't know if I was going to make it out working on a/c systems. Package system outside with duct ran in attic, ok. duct in attic with air handler/furnace in a closet, ok. Just don't put the whole thing in an attic. It sucks @ss when you have to work on the thing.
I agree but that is the designed method now.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pjackso is on to something with the credits. We had a high efficient Trane heat pump installed. It was expensive at $11k but we are total electric and wanted the max efficiency. Trane filed for a discount and we got a break on our 2020 taxes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom