Stovepipe Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nissan720

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger P95 that I have had for 4-5 years. I took it to the range last week with a friend who wanted to try it and almost every round (95%+) that he shot would stovepipe or jam on him.

We tried different ammo, different holds, and anything else I could think of.

Does anyone have any ideas of what he was doing?

The reason I say it was him is because every time that I picked it up it functioned without any problems. I have had this gun for several years and it has always shot reliably for myself, my brothers, and numerous other friends that have shot it in that time.

Any advise would be appreciated as this made me concerned to keep this one out for defense.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the Ruger, many 9mm pistols like Glock or Beretta are designed to use the NATO and foreign ammo that are the real 9mm instead of the anemic US ammo (Ranger 115gr +P+ is an exception). If that is the case with the Ruger, any US ammo is marginal, even a small amount of limpwristing will give you a stovepipe.
There was a court case with a convenience store clerk who used a Glock to defend himself, got a stovepipe and later sued Glock. Glock won.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like others have said he's limpwristing it, which is impressive bacause I've never seen a P series Ruger jam.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Sig P226 won't lock the slide back for either my daughter or my wife - I've gone over proper grip and stance all day long - I pick up the gun (same ammo/mags, etc...) and it works fine, they pick it up and no slide-lock back on last round.

Limp-wristing will do crazy things to a gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom