Study: Tesla car battery production releases as much CO2 as 8 years of driving on gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'd probably be better if we just designed our cities so that navigating without a car was easier.

Our cities are too sprawling a inefficient. Designed for cars, many places don't even have sidewalks and using a bike is difficult due to poor infrastructure.

So, you'd want to sell your cars and move into a crappy high rise apartment?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you consider the battery system as the power plant...the real comparison would be how much CO2 is created during the production of an internal combustion engine and other components not found in a tesla.

That would be more revealing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you consider the battery system as the power plant...the real comparison would be how much CO2 is created during the production of an internal combustion engine and other components not found in a tesla.

That would be more revealing.
We don't subsidize with tax dollars anybody building internal combustion engines do we?
The carbon footprint of wind power generation would amaze you. That's is one of the the reasons they have to be subsidized by our tax dollars, and a BTW, Isn't Elon Musk the most subsidized business owner in history by our tax dollars for development for those cars he builds?.
I just got in off the road, but I'll look it up later.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It'd probably be better if we just designed our cities so that navigating without a car was easier.

Our cities are too sprawling a inefficient. Designed for cars, many places don't even have sidewalks and using a bike is difficult due to poor infrastructure.
The problem with your comment is that not everybody lives in the city's. Most of the population I suppose does, but you can't make regulations for cities that would work for rural citizens that put bread on your table. Its a whole different world out here.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I don't want to live in the city. I couldn't deal with neighbors.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, you'd want to sell your cars and move into a crappy high rise apartment?

The problem with your comment is that not everybody lives in the city's. Most of the population I suppose does, but you can't make regulations for cities that would work for rural citizens that put bread on your table. Its a whole different world out here.

I don't want to live in the city. I couldn't deal with neighbors.

Most car use is in cities, not in rural or suburban areas. My point wasn't to force everyone into the city, but rather to make cities more efficient for those that use, commute or live in cities.

Trains, buses, better infrastructure for alternative modes of transportation etc are all ways to make it more efficient.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't subsidize with tax dollars anybody building internal combustion engines do we?
The carbon footprint of wind power generation would amaze you. That's is one of the the reasons they have to be subsidized by our tax dollars, and a BTW, Isn't Elon Musk the most subsidized business owner in history by our tax dollars for development for those cars he builds?.
I just got in off the road, but I'll look it up later.

Subsidies are another discussion. I personally think Tesla is a snake oil salesman.

The OP is about the emissions from Tesla battery production compared to driving a combustion car for XX years. Cool.

If one wants to have an honest discussion about that, we must see the comparison of the CO2 emissions from the production of a comparable sized vehicle's internal combustion power plant side by side with that of Tesla's.

Better yet, compare the carbon footprint of the production of an entire Tesla to that of a comparable sedan or coupe.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Subsidies are another discussion. I personally think Tesla is a snake oil salesman.

The OP is about the emissions from Tesla battery production compared to driving a combustion car for XX years. Cool.

If one wants to have an honest discussion about that, we must see the comparison of the CO2 emissions from the production of a comparable sized vehicle's internal combustion power plant side by side with that of Tesla's.

Better yet, compare the carbon footprint of the production of an entire Tesla to that of a comparable sedan or coupe.
This! I still love my P85D. Best car made, IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom