Stuff that works best

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the lee rifle crimping system better than any other I have tried. I also think the Lee final crimp/size die for pistol ammo adds reliability that no one else matches.

The Lee universal deprimer is another item that I use a lot.

I am wondering if anyone else can recommend "best stuff." The three I have listed happen to be Lee products, but that's just a coincidence.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my Lyman universal case trimmer. No shell holders to change. Rather simple to use and repeatable with tight tolerances.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my Lyman universal case trimmer. No shell holders to change. Rather simple to use and repeatable with tight tolerances.

Lyman is a good tool, but I had squareness issues with the it. Wilson is by far the best trimmer setup.
Lyman can be converted to a neck turner - and I say once you got it setup - it's the best.

Forester makes the best rifle seating dies (screw-in kind).

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forester makes the best rifle seating dies (screw-in kind).

Absolutely agree with that forester does make some quality dies ! Ill have to look into a Wilson trimmer if I ever run into any problems with the Lyman. I did have to replace the trimmer blade awhile back it had started marring up .224 dia cases. .222 .223 and swifts mainly because I think I had done so many. Oh and forgot to mention my Lyman dps 3 couldn't live without some form of electronic powder dispenser now that I've had one. Just store your load data and push repeat. You can crank some rounds out on a single stage with one of those.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with that forester does make some quality dies ! Ill have to look into a Wilson trimmer if I ever run into any problems with the Lyman. I did have to replace the trimmer blade awhile back it had started marring up .224 dia cases. .222 .223 and swifts mainly because I think I had done so many. Oh and forgot to mention my Lyman dps 3 couldn't live without some form of electronic powder dispenser now that I've had one. Just store your load data and push repeat. You can crank some rounds out on a single stage with one of those.

I got a dps3 for xmas last year from my mother (she supports my addiction) I finally got to play with it and it would come on and that was it nothing worked. Read some reviews and say few people had issues with them. So I returned it got the RCBS chargemaster combo and its been gravy since then. I LOVE IT!!!! since all my reloading is on a single stage and my speed is about what it measures the powder every round i load get the charge weighed!

I like the lee collet dies alot for .223 and my .22 hornets. Most everything else i have is rcbs no real reason thats just what i started buying in the beginning and like it all for the most part.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For mass volume, I like the Dillon case trimmer a lot. Pretty expensive and dies are a killer, but for doing mass quantities of 223 and stuff like that, its great.
I also like the Dillon primer pocket swager. Better than enything else I've used. I have the Lyman DPS 1200 and it has been a good tool for me, especially for
loading large magnum cases. It is about 5 years old now. I have added the lee factory crimp die to all my pistol calibers and several of the rifle calibers too.
I have several manual trimmers, the Lyman universal, the Forstor, and of course the Lee trimmer and cutter for almost every caliber I load. If I'm only doing
a few, the Lee trimmer is what I get out of the box. All my neck turning and reaming is done on the Forster system. I have cutters and reamers for most
standard calibers. I also have the RCBS powered case trimmer setup with the powered case prep add on. It works great and just takes a little longer to get
set up correctly. All good tools.. Blitzfike

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If talking about trimmers, you have to give the nod to the Giraud trimmer. Yes it is more expensive but it indexes off the shoulder of the case and produces results over and over again. If you use lock rings you can set up the trimmer so you can change calibers extremely quick.

It also chamfers and deburrs at the same time as trimming. If you can afford it and process big batches of brass, it will be worth the investment in the time it saves. I have two other friends that bought their own shell holders for the calibers they needed and came over to use the trimmer. I helped them get it set up and the trimmer never had a problem with repeatability. One of them has since purchased his own trimmer as it is that good.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If talking about trimmers, you have to give the nod to the Giraud trimmer. Yes it is more expensive but it indexes off the shoulder of the case and produces results over and over again. If you use lock rings you can set up the trimmer so you can change calibers extremely quick.

It also chamfers and deburrs at the same time as trimming. If you can afford it and process big batches of brass, it will be worth the investment in the time it saves. I have two other friends that bought their own shell holders for the calibers they needed and came over to use the trimmer. I helped them get it set up and the trimmer never had a problem with repeatability. One of them has since purchased his own trimmer as it is that good.

Does it size at the same time as the Dillon? Just wondering because the chamfering and deburring is kinda a pita after processing with the Dillon, it is very consistant though.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it size at the same time as the Dillon? Just wondering because the chamfering and deburring is kinda a pita after processing with the Dillon, it is very consistant though.

No because the Giraud is just a trimmer. It is not an attachment to a die like the Dillon.

Since the Giraud indexes off the shoulder, you will want to full length resize the brass before trimming. I use lock rings on the Giraud shellholders and all my reloading dies for the Forster Co-Ax press. This allows me to have very repeatable results throughout the process. I have not touched my 223 or 308 dies and trimmer setup since I initially set them up.

When I first start processing brass, I full length resize one piece then trim it. Once measurement verifies the brass is sized and trimmed to the length I expect, I resize all the brass in that batch then run them through the Giruad trimmer. I have yet needed to make any adjustments.

Latest posts

Top Bottom