Suggestion for your bag or home med kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get some meds for eye scratches. I just had a freaking limb travel with the trajectory of a wild Indians arrow right into my eyeball. Now I sit here like Popeye and miserable for want of some drops and a patch.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing with eye injuries is it's almost impossible to know if it's a minor or major injury without someone with the training to know the difference looking at it under magnification. My B.I.L. got a "scratch" on his eye during a deer hunt and did what a lot folks do and ignored it. After a week or so it suddenly got much worse inspiring him to seek medical care. Turns out he had a very deep cut on his eye which got infected or something, basically the result of not seeking medical attention when he should have, and came very close to losing his eye. Eye injuries are something I don't mess with, there's just too much to lose by putting professional care off. As an EMT we were trained to cover/protect and immediately seek hospital care for eye injuries because of the potential seriousness.

My B.I.L. learned his lesson, he won't go near the woods anymore with safety glasses and neither will I just from the close encounters I've had. Don't take chances with your eyes.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I have some flourescein eye stain strips that I keep in my med kit. I drop it in a sterile syringe with sterile saline, then squirt into the eye. Using a pen flashlight, you can see if their are any scratches. If not, I rinse with sterile saline. If so, I would make an appointment with an opthamologist. I also have a tube of opthalmic ointment with abx, but would only use if I couldn't get to an eye doctor. Eyes are emergencies, like Brandi said, don't take chances with them!

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
share the "photo".

i237.photobucket.com_albums_ff116_meekslab_Mobile_20Uploads_2014_08_IMG953688_zpsw7umrrmy.jpg

You're an arse and thanks for helping again this weekend.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.T. " Yarrrr, clearing dead trees be hard work, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye."

UMB " Aye Cap'n "

actual conversation, not 5 seconds prior to incident.

On the plus side, minimal poison ivy or chiggers this time.

It should also be noted that the injury didnt deter J.T.'s motivation any longer than it took me to check out his eye. He went right back to work. Then there was the fire ant conundrum. Ill let him explain...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom