Sunday holster project...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Crossbreed holster about 2 weeks ago for my Glock 19. I liked it because it wore well, and was comfortable. I disliked it because it was $80, and the kydex bodies couldn't be changed. I did not want to be one of the many people I see around here saying that they have a drawer full of holsters...So I sold it on here to help someone bypass their 6 week wait.

I was going to buy a MTAC, which is basically just like the Crossbreed, but you can change the kydex bodies on it. Sounds great until you price the bodies. $80 for the initial holster with 1 body, and $40 for additional bodies...

I have thought about it for awhile, and while my main carry gun is a Glock 19, I wouldnt mind being able to carry an XD, XDm, M&P, LCR, 1911, etc...So I decided that it couldnt be very hard to make my own hybrid IWB holster.

Here's where it started and progressed, dont mind the bad cell phone pics...you'll get the idea..

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

These are the bodies for an LCR, XD, XDm, and Glock 9/40
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

All the bodies can be screwed on or off in just a couple minutes. I used chicago screws to be flat on the back and not protrude out any. It takes longer for the oven to heat up, than for me to mold the body to the gun. The most time consuming part is either cutting the leather out, or trimming and mounting the kydex. I need to build one more and actually see how long it takes. I built three today....

I think it came out very well. I wore it for about an hour earlier tonight, and felt about the same as my Crossbreed. I should get some more time wearing it this week.

Now on to the good part. I almost dont want to say what I've got in materials in this incase I decide to sell any, but I guess the labor it is worth something. I broke it down by each screw, clip, etc with tax included. For the leather, clips, 8 screws, and 1 kydex body, I have just under $13 in it. For each additional kydex body, it adds about $0.75, maybe a little less after I scaled the piece down some. Yes, thats the same kydex body that MTAC gets $40 for.

It needs some more black die, and a little more smoothing/sanding on the curves of the leather, and the curves of the kydex, but for now its pretty good I think...

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats cool, been looking for something for my P-11 and like the idea of making my own. What is the source for all the parts? I'm in Tulsa, wondering if a leather shop has it? Where do you buy the Kydex?

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats cool, been looking for something for my P-11 and like the idea of making my own. What is the source for all the parts? I'm in Tulsa, wondering if a leather shop has it? Where do you buy the Kydex?

I went to the local Tandy Leather store for the screws, leather, and clips. For ordering kydex online, try knifekits.com, do what I did and just call plastics distributors in your area.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did you use to heat you kydex? What did you use to cut the molded kydex

I heated it in an oven at 320*, then laid it over the gun and molded it with a folded up towel. I cut and trimmed it with a die grinder...the sanded the edges...

We made 3 more today for some other friends...they came out very good also...

landontc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you be interested in making me one? I'd like one for an XD-9 and LCR for now, with possibly some more Kydex bodies later.

Let me know what you think is a fair price.

EDIT:

Also, do you have access to any of the other style clips? Like the ones that go behind the belt and clip under it?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you be interested in making me one? I'd like one for an XD-9 and LCR for now, with possibly some more Kydex bodies later.

Let me know what you think is a fair price.

EDIT:

Also, do you have access to any of the other style clips? Like the ones that go behind the belt and clip under it?

I think it would be a better idea for you to make your own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom