Sunday. Last day for pheasant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The total bird count was 4 quail...two for the dog, and two for the human hunters.
We saw lots of pheasant, but only one rooster that Gunner had pointed in some cattails. It got up, and I got a shot off, that took off his tail, but with a blocker down range, a second shot could not be taken. Rest of the day in high snow all we saw for pheasant was hens. But there were lots of good points by Gunner, and one in particular left us laughing for 5 minutes, and will be one of those legendary hunting stories for our group.
Gunner went on point at a clump of grass in a waterway. We went over, and there was absolutly nothing there. He stayed locked up, so walking around behind him there was a hole in the snow and the tailfeathers of a hen just visible. My cousin was just 3' on the other side of the clump when all of a sudden a snow explosion erupted, with the hen coming up and hitting my cousin in the chest, and flogging him with its wings. The look on his face, being attacked and beaten up by a hen pheasant was priceless:D:D

That mental pic will be forever etched in my mind:D

Two times Gunner went on point with his face half buried in the snow. Both times with a small forward movment he came up with a quail in his mouth, and brought it to me. :D The birds were just hunkering down in the snow and not moving. We finally got two more singles over points, came home wet, tired but had one of the best days I've ever had with great dog work, and a few new hunting stories to bore people with.:D

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Good story dennis.The things we see in the field are etched in our brains forever.As for pheasant hunting,we went out to Cleo Springs last week.Got up 4 roosters and 4 coveys of quail.We cleaned one (1) rooster and three (3) quail.Yep,thats right,total 4 birds.Not the dogs fault,they did really well.I think the birds had been hunted really hard and figured us out.They knew exactly how to get out on us. We"re gonna try it next weekend and see if we can outsmart em....

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like everybody had a good time, anyway. I would just as soon watch a good dog work and never take a shot. That, in itself, makes my day!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like everybody had a good time, anyway. I would just as soon watch a good dog work and never take a shot. That, in itself, makes my day!

+1million
The time taken with a pup to make it into a bird dog and seeing the results in the field make it a great hunt no matter how many birds are taken. He is also a good friend, and will get his reward by sleeping on the couch tonight. :D

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of two groups of people that BRAVED the roads and went west last w/e. One group of 10 (was supposed to be 15) went to near Lavern, used a guide of sorts. He leased the land, told them where to go, provided food & lodging (did not provide dogs). They got their limit by 1:00 on Saturday. I'll have to ask him if any of the hunters got a picture of the pheasant burying themselves into the snow. They did like Dennis mentioned previously. Just burrowed down in the snow. The hunters were pratucally kicking the birds up out of the snow. Despite the "easy" pickins' on Saturday my co-worker went through 10 pairs of socks on Saturday and he said he has pretty decent boots. It was by far the hardest bird hunting he has ever done and he was still limping around yesterday.

Sunday wasn't as easy as it took till almost dusk to get their limit and walked a lot farther. He said they almost "lost" a Britanny because it was a little wild (the dogs owner just had heart surgery and his son brought the dog-so the dog probably didn't work as well with the son) and got too far out in front of them. The dog was apparently on point for some 20 minutes!!! The dog was hard to see from the snow.

Another friend of mine told me this morning a buddy he works with went out in the Panhandle on Sunday and that group go 17 pheasant.

A tailgate of pheasant is a very beautiful sight ... ducks, geese, etc, too!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was by far the hardest bird hunting he has ever done and he was still limping around yesterday.

A tailgate of pheasant is a very beautiful sight ... ducks, geese, etc, too!

I'm still limping a little with the muscles, or ligaments or whatever is back there behind my knees, is hurting like heck. When walking around, it goes away, but when sitting, it comes back with a vengance. Wonder if getting some snow shoes might help? Its getting better day by day. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom