Tag question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do not like your old tag you can still buy a new one.
And now they have a deal where you can purchase your tag sticker that is good for 2 years.

For those of us that keep our stuff forever
Yes I had just bought the 2 year sticker and had not even put it on the tag yet when it was wrecked. I lucked out it seems.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know when you sell a car now that you are supposed to remove your tag as it is registered to you and not the car. My question is, if you buy a used car, can you put the tag on it or do you have to buy another tag?

Yes you can as long as the sticker isn’t expired. Take it to the tag office when you register the vehicle.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not at all in favor of them changing that law back.
Same here. Kansas has a VIN inspection when any used car comes into the state. The KHP usually did them but ours was an authorized state-trained agency. I used to do those when I was on day shift. I usually inspected 20 to 30 a week. Back when I did them it was ten bucks. $5 to the state and we got to keep $5 that went into our training fund. Dealers had to do them too.

https://kansashighwaypatrol.gov/get-a-vin-inspection/vin-inspection-locations/

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who twice got phone calls from the cops at 3am asking me if I still owned a car that I had traded in at large factory dealerships months earlier, I'm not at all in favor of them changing that law back.
They already have a process in place to let the State know you sold your car.
It costs $10.00, but worth it.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reuse the tag. If the vehicle you are purchasing is the same model year or older and your old tag is up to date, it will save you money. Out-of-state vehicles require VIN inspections.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here. Kansas has a VIN inspection when any used car comes into the state. The KHP usually did them but ours was an authorized state-trained agency. I used to do those when I was on day shift. I usually inspected 20 to 30 a week. Back when I did them it was ten bucks. $5 to the state and we got to keep $5 that went into our training fund. Dealers had to do them too.

https://kansashighwaypatrol.gov/get-a-vin-inspection/vin-inspection-locations/
Bought a 71 firebird for my son 12 years ago in Kansas. They took the tag off there. Left it on the trailer and had to take to the tag office here to get a VIN inspection. Dang sure wasn’t want the hassle of driving in Bethany with no tag.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We played musical tags a little over a week ago. Buddy bought something else, my sister bought his, I bought hers and sold mine to my brother. I’m driving with a tag that’s not registered to my vehicle. Hope to get it changed over Saturday. You have 60 days, but I forget crap

Latest posts

Top Bottom