Tagging gun owners vehicles psa warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From Facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...56733040.66584.274105099351206&type=1&theater

TAGGING GUN OWNERS VEHICLES PSA WARNING

Gun lovers public service announcement: While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Texas.

Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check your car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.

This next comment from a Gun Site instructor:

I don’t know how widespread this is becoming, but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.

Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.

BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus
Christi the month before.
578115_426039290824452_1490426119_n.jpg

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From Facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...56733040.66584.274105099351206&type=1&theater

TAGGING GUN OWNERS VEHICLES PSA WARNING

Gun lovers public service announcement: While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Texas.

Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check your car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.

This next comment from a Gun Site instructor:

I don’t know how widespread this is becoming, but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.

Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.

BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus
Christi the month before.
View attachment 28286

Red dots and yellow dots are common on newly mounted tires they indicate the high point and lightest oint of the tire for balancing purposes.

I'm going to go with internet myth and call this BS.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.caller.com/news/2012/jan/25/debunking-a-hoax-aimed-at-gun-owners/?print=1

A bit more information about it....

Debunking a hoax aimed at gun owners
Urban legend involves gang members stealing guns from vehicles

By David Sikes

Originally published 06:07 p.m., January 25, 2012
Updated 08:16 a.m., January 26, 2012

CORPUS CHRISTI — Several variations of an email alert urging gun owners to be aware of a clever burglary ploy by street gangs has sent folks crawling around their vehicles searching for discreet tags put there by gang members.

One gentleman told me he tried in vain to scrape off the red or yellow dot on one of his tires and now plans to paint over it.

Chances are the absent dot will confuse the next tire technician he encounters. Turns out the colored dots are put there by tire manufacturers mainly to help installers with balancing.

The Internet warning is an apparent hoax. Just what could have motivated this is a mystery to me.

The email I received carries this headline: "TAGGING GUN OWNERS VEHICLES PSA WARNING."

And it starts with a story of a Texas gun shopper who claimed his wheels were tagged in the parking of a gun shop by gang members. The warning reports the same thing occurred in San Antonio during a competition at the National Shooting Complex.

The counterfeit public service announcement suggests when these tagged vehicles were later spotted by conspiring gang members they become targets for burglaries and would-be gun thieves.

In keeping with the tradition of such cyber-foolishness, the email provides details to simulate authenticity. In this case, the hoax claims Bexar County Sheriff Amadeo Ortiz (though they do not name him) addressed the issue this past summer in front of 400 shooters during a competition sponsored by the National Skeet Shooting Association or the National Sporting Clays Association.

The hoaxster writes that guns were stolen from cars and trucks in the parking lot, despite the sheriff's warning.

In a second part of the email, supposedly written by a shooting instructor at the complex, the warning includes a local connection, suggesting a young competitive shooter and his father after shooting in San Antonio lost all their guns to thieves while having lunch at an unnamed Corpus Christi barbecue joint.

The bogus warning reports these colorful marks or stickers have been found on rear bumpers and license plates, along with wheels and tires.

I contacted the Bexar County Sheriff's Office, the San Antonio Police Department, the Corpus Christi Police Department and Royce Graff, director of the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio.

By all accounts, nothing in the email is accurate. No truth whatsoever, according to Matthew Porter at the San Antonio P.D. and Martin Meachum at the sheriff's office. Corpus Christi police pointed me to a report by the myth-buster website Snopes.com, which confirms this is a hoax that has been circulating since December.

Graff denounced and debunked the hoax and said the reference indicating the San Antonio sheriff spoke to a group of competitors at the shooting complex simply did not happen.

Graff has posted a response to the hoax on Facebook, the National Skeet Shooting Association website and the National Sporting Clays Association website. In the wake of rumors, Graff reports that his staff, along with a law enforcement officer inspected vehicles in the complex's parking lot after hearing rumors of the plan by gangs. They found no validity to reports of vehicle tagging.

There was no pattern or consistency among the marks, which mostly were left there by manufacturers, tire services workers or rental car companies. The full response is online at www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/2012/01/nsc-response-to-rumors-about-gun-thefts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom