Tankless Water Heater Experiences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had plans to replace tank with tankless.

Tank went out and 2 weeks ago, wasn't prepared to change and ended up with another tank.

Still planning to go thankless, but it could be 20 years away.

Interested in experiences, good and bad.
What kind of savings? Water heater and stove top is my year round gas usage. Heat in winter is when cost goes insane.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have one that is 25 years old now. i have replaced the coil in it once because i let the vent leak cold air and freeze the coil. i was pleased that there wasn't any sludge or build up in the coil as it looked brand new after almost 20 years of use. no water softner needed cause the coils are just 1/2 inch copper pipe with out any fine passages. i have replaced the igniter once. bosch

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a noritz. The only complaint have is that is the flow rate gets below a certain point it shuts off.

So if I want to take a like warm shower and trim the mixing valve down in the shower it will just quit heating the water all together and you get cold water.

My wife takes scalding hot showers and she never runs out of hot water so it is a plus for her.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
No warm shower if the power is out. You can take a warm shower with a standard tank and no power. At least until the water cools completely.
Our new house has one. It’s edmond water so I need to get on descaling it soon!

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mine only requires water pressure to operate and of course propane. the igniter is self contained requires no power. i will warn you that none of the tankless units like an anti scald pressure balance type of faucet. if you have these then you will want to adjust them so that they don't do that anymore.

Choprzrul

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Rheem 84DVLN back in November of 2015. I have a whole house recirc pump on a smart plugin that I can kick on with an app on my phone. Whole thing works great for me. Only issue was I had to replace the flow switch about a year ago.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it all the grit in our water that is causing problems or just all the doohickies on water heater that are messing up? I know my tank type Rheem water heater is going on 10 years now and starting to look at whether I want to try to change anode rod(s) or just wait till the whole thing goes and get new one. Glanced at a tankless in HD until I noticed price tag.... :ooh2:
When we bought the 2yo home the Bradford-White water heater sprung a leak in the tank our 1st year. Luckily we went halvsies with sellers on a home warranty plan and I was only out $60 service call.

Latest posts

Top Bottom