Question about water heater warranty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just had the experience of replacing a water heater. It WAS under the extended factory warranty we purchased. The original installing plumber did the job raping me in the process but that is another discussion. They replaced the tank with the same brand, same size tank I had which was fine with me. Then when I asked to purchase the extended warranty again, he explained there will be no warranty on the new tank even though I have warranty paperwork that states 6 years of warranty because the model number contains a 6. He said the existing warranty on the old tank expires in 2024 and that is the limit of this new tank. NO FACTORY WARRANTY!

I reluctantly paid the guy and I'm glad they changed their name from "Affordable" to Rape n Scrape but I digress......

Is this a common practice now?

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is going from memory (LOL!) but the plumber the show This Old House was talking about water heaters and said nowadays you can get them with a 6 yr warranty or a 10 yr warranty.
He said some of the 10 yr water heaters are actually better made -- but some are the same as the regular water heater and they just charge you more because they will have to replace more of them by the 10 yr mark.
If this is true I'm not surprised the companies are doing it but I am surprised that anybody will admit it's going on (although not his fault, I understand that).

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had known this going into it, I would have called my regular plumber back and taken his bid which was $500 more. BUT, I would have had the 6 year warranty. I call that bad business practices.

There oughtta be a law.......

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend went through the same thing and the second one they installed leaked in months not years right at a seam up high.
JUNK.
He went tankless.
My lifetime auto parts are covered forever

Latest posts

Top Bottom