Tankless water heater questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have a tankless water heater? If so do you like it? Is it gas or electric? Do you like it? Where did you buy it/who put it in?

Thanks for the info

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i've been told these are the way to go. I know quite a few people with them, mostly gas operated. They NEVER run out of hot water. Wish I would have pulled my head out of my arse when i built the house and put one in here.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting.

Just had a discussion with my heat and air guy about these. About a year ago, he put one in his house. I was thinking about it and replaced my water heater instead.

He told me this week that I made the better decision.

Yes, they don't run out of water. When they are running. I don't mean that they mechanically don't run, but when the power goes out a gas water heater still gives you hot water. A tankless water heater used electrical circuits to run.

Electric versions work, but (especially with kids) people get in the shower and stay there. All the while, that little wheel is just spinning around on the electic meter fast enough to act as a buzz saw. Even in the gas versions (which he has) the water usage goes up and so does the gas bill.

Not saying they aren't good, but these are things to consider.

the company he works for now, and worked for a few years ago, no longer will install the electric ones due to the power consumption and the complaints that they got from unhappy customers complaining about their increased electricity bills.

Dave

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whats the price difference?
Whats the difference in life span?

I've always had the impression that you paid a high premium, but the 'pay-back' wasn't there.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at them, there isn't a good ROI on them IMO.

For me I would have to run a larger gas line to feed one. They produce a difference in the water temp, so they work harder in the winter when the incoming water is colder.

I like the reduced space requirement, they wont work during a power outage like a normal gas hot water tank will.

In a SHTF scenario I will always at least have 70 gallons of water...

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you just want instant hot water in certain spots only, like the kitchen, you can always just install insta hots in just those locations, if that is what you are after.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the reduced space requirement, they wont work during a power outage like a normal gas hot water tank will.

This depends on which model you end up with and how it works. The one I had in my last house worked without electricity. We loved ours and would love to put one in this home but since the bradford white we have now is almost new it will probably never happen. Too many other places to put the money

Latest posts

Top Bottom