Taurus 709 Slim vs Keltec PF9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did have a Kahr but it wasn't as dependable as the 709 or the PF9 again this was just in the one I had. After about 200 rounds I decided someone else could figure it out.

Keep in mind that Kahrs have pretty tight tolerances from the factory and do require a break in period, I believe that it is around 500 rounds. Mine have all had that many, and never had any gun issues with any of mine, I have had 5 of them. The only issue I have ever had with one was mag related, it would FTF or lock back sporadically.

After I identified that it was the mag, I pitched it. I don't want to depend on anything that sporadically did not work. I did not want to bend it, etc to fix it, for $30, I would rather not risk it. That is also the reason that I don't carry a Taurus, although I have heard several guys that shot the 709 that really liked it.

My problem is that I have experienced issues with their automatics, and the general consensus is that others have as well, blaming it on QC. Not sure why, I just don't trust them, I would rather wait and save an additional few dollars and buy something with a better track record. Of course this opinion and about $3.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.....:bighug:

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Kahr CW9 hasn't jammed or failed to lock back in it's first 400 rounds from new.

I've owned a couple of PF9s. They are for the most part reliable, especially the newer ones, but they seriously lack the fit and finish of the Kahr (or Taurus, for that matter).

My deterrent from the Taurus is a lack of holster availability...and then after that, it would be their track record, magazine cost, and customer service. You won't see me rushing out to buy one.

For pocket carrying a 9mm I could only get away with the PM9. The others are just too large.

Latest posts

Top Bottom