Taurus Judge Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theishkid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my father is thinking about buying a new Taurus Judge. Problem is he knows nothing about them and there are (what seems to be) 40 different versions/options of this gun.
I'll start by saying that this would just be some what of a "fun gun" for him. He has other handguns and shotguns and conceal carry guns already. He was just looking for something else to play with.

So my first question is... Is there any big dis/advantage to getting one with a 3" chamber vs a 2" chamber?

Question 2... Why is the 3" chamber version so much harder to find? Is it more popular and they get snatched up as soon as they are available? Or are they not as good so they don't have much demand for them?

I'd also like to ask if there is anything else he and I should know about this gun before he buys it. He was looking for something fun so I recommended it to him, but after more and more research it seems to be 50/50 with people that love/hate them. I could understand the hate if maybe it was your one and only... but for someone that it would strictly be something fun to play with, is he going to like it? So are they decent quality? Do they shoot well? Just any sort of real world experience/information would be good.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Other than fun, the only legitimate use I can think of for them is a pack gun. It would be ideal for up close and personal small/medium pests. IE, snakes, coons, armadillos. You can load either .410 or .45 LC, so when needed a more *serious* round can be loaded (the .45), but for vermin, a .410 would be awesome.

For fun, or for that reason, I don't see a whole lot of benefit to getting the 3" version. The only real advantage would be more shot capacity for buckshot. And since I don't see this gun as a very good self defense weapon, buckshot would not be something I'd be shooting through it often.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having not owned one personally but having done a ton of research for my father-in-law about these guns, I'll add my $0.02.

The biggest drawback to these guns in general is their accuracy. The idea of being able to shoot both 45LC and .410 sounds cool, but it turns out to be not so practical. The short barrel makes the shotgun rounds ineffective at any range beyond 12 feet or so with extreme pellet spread. Then the longer chamber makes the 45LC bullets where they have to "jump" a long distance to get into the forcing cone. This hurts their accuracy. I've heard a lot of reports that put accuracy in the 10-12" circle range at 25 feet. I suppose that's good enough to be in center mass if your aim was perfect. However, try to engage a target at, say 30 feet, and mis-aim just a bit and you might get a complete miss!!! I can imagine the 3" chambers, while being better for the shot shells since they can hold more pellets, would suffer even worse in the accuracy department.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the stainless 3"X 3".
I wanted it because in my mind the 3" rounds would have more shot than the 2 1/2" models.
I shot 000 buck 3" ammo from 3 different manufacturers, and was sadly disapointed. The soft lead balls, flatten before ever leaving the shell, and fly all over the place. Very little penetration. The shotshell rounds in #4 and #6 were all over the place too, with little penetration. Reason is, the shells are designed to be shot in a full length shotgun. They don't get the pressure to build up speed, and the wad is designed to disengage from the shot immediatly. With the rifling in the end of the barrel to make it legal, it was pretty innefective past 5 yards.

Now winchester, federal and Remington are making shells specifically designed to be shot in the Taurus judge. Currently they are only offered in the 2 1/2" length. If they will bring out a 3" version, nobody is talking right now. With a new quick burn powder, they are advertising 1200fps(I'll have to look at the box when I get home to confirm this.) in both the #4 shotshell, and the 000 buck. the 000 buck is now a copper coated hard lead, and at 10 yds they hold in a 2" group. I saw a demo on the net where they got almost 10" of penetration in ballistic gellatin. Now we are talking a SD round making 4 wound channels.

The #4 shotshell round I have not tested yet, as I just got a box of it yesterday, and have not shot it. I will, very soon, and report back on it.

so to answer your question, the 3" model does not really have an advantage over the 2 1/2 model at this time, as far as firepower, and won't unless the ammo folks come out with the 3" round designed for handguns.
I did get two boxes of .45 Colt Leverevolution yesterday as well. I have lots of shooting to do on my days off.:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having not owned one personally but having done a ton of research for my father-in-law about these guns, I'll add my $0.02.

The biggest drawback to these guns in general is their accuracy. The idea of being able to shoot both 45LC and .410 sounds cool, but it turns out to be not so practical. The short barrel makes the shotgun rounds ineffective at any range beyond 12 feet or so with extreme pellet spread. Then the longer chamber makes the 45LC bullets where they have to "jump" a long distance to get into the forcing cone. This hurts their accuracy. I've heard a lot of reports that put accuracy in the 10-12" circle range at 25 feet. I suppose that's good enough to be in center mass if your aim was perfect. However, try to engage a target at, say 30 feet, and mis-aim just a bit and you might get a complete miss!!! I can imagine the 3" chambers, while being better for the shot shells since they can hold more pellets, would suffer even worse in the accuracy department.

I'll get back with you this weekend on the accuracy issue.

Here is a link to the new winchester shot shells for handguns.
http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/News-PersonalDefenseAmmunition.aspx

This is the federal site
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=847

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had the 2 1/2" , 3" bbl, lightweight model for some time now. The only reason I got it was to pack in my Kayak or carry for snakes when I'm squirrel hunting. #4 or 6 shot works great for that up close. I never even bothered with buckshot as I have no desire to use this as a defense gun. Mine may be the exception but the .45 Colt ammo shot into 2-3" at 25 feet (single action). It's a fun little gun but I think there are any number of other guns that would be better for self defense.

99TROUBLE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After shooring the Ultralite version I would sugest the stainless or even the blued standard weight pistol to help w/ the recoil. The 3" seams like it would be overkill as I shot a wide variety of shotshells including the Federal Handgun loads & some 45 long colts & it can be a handful. I would also recomend a fullsize Judge & not the Public Defender so that you would get a full size grip.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the 3" model and I like it but I only use mine for fun. Just to add some fuel to the fire, have you looked at the new one's that are chambered for 454 casull as well? I think that'd be a kick...on more than one level:)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 3" model and I like it but I only use mine for fun. Just to add some fuel to the fire, have you looked at the new one's that are chambered for 454 casull as well? I think that'd be a kick...on more than one level:)

I haven't see the .454 Casull model yet.
I thought the .45 colt might be a handfull on recoil, but its actuall quite managable with the grips provided.
I was going to use the #4 shot on a possum we have been having trouble with around the yard eating the dogs food tonight, but I figured if I let go with it, the contractor here doing our remodel might cut a hand off as he was working on a table saw. So, I switched to the .22 Ruger Mark III hunter.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the stainless 3"X 3".
I wanted it because in my mind the 3" rounds would have more shot than the 2 1/2" models.
I shot 000 buck 3" ammo from 3 different manufacturers, and was sadly disapointed. The soft lead balls, flatten before ever leaving the shell, and fly all over the place. Very little penetration. The shotshell rounds in #4 and #6 were all over the place too, with little penetration. Reason is, the shells are designed to be shot in a full length shotgun. They don't get the pressure to build up speed, and the wad is designed to disengage from the shot immediatly. With the rifling in the end of the barrel to make it legal, it was pretty innefective past 5 yards.

Now winchester, federal and Remington are making shells specifically designed to be shot in the Taurus judge. Currently they are only offered in the 2 1/2" length. If they will bring out a 3" version, nobody is talking right now. With a new quick burn powder, they are advertising 1200fps(I'll have to look at the box when I get home to confirm this.) in both the #4 shotshell, and the 000 buck. the 000 buck is now a copper coated hard lead, and at 10 yds they hold in a 2" group. I saw a demo on the net where they got almost 10" of penetration in ballistic gellatin. Now we are talking a SD round making 4 wound channels.

The #4 shotshell round I have not tested yet, as I just got a box of it yesterday, and have not shot it. I will, very soon, and report back on it.

so to answer your question, the 3" model does not really have an advantage over the 2 1/2 model at this time, as far as firepower, and won't unless the ammo folks come out with the 3" round designed for handguns.
I did get two boxes of .45 Colt Leverevolution yesterday as well. I have lots of shooting to do on my days off.:D

If that turns out to be true, that will be totally bad arse!!!

I'm really looking forward to your report back after this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom