Tax Time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Educate me. What is an 8863?

It's the form used to calculate and request credits for tuition paid in a calendar year. You can make a straight income adjustment (line 34 on the 1040) for full time enrollment, but since I am part-time taking one class this spring (paid for in 2012, so it's on the 2012 return), I have to claim the credit (line 49, form 8863) and not the income adjustment.

The IRS though has not begun accepting returns for taxpayers utilizing the 8863 form. So while I have submitted my taxes online to my tax preparation company (Tax Slayer, FWIW), they are holding the return until the IRS allows them to file it.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the form used to calculate and request credits for tuition paid in a calendar year. You can make a straight income adjustment (line 34 on the 1040) for full time enrollment, but since I am part-time taking one class this spring (paid for in 2012, so it's on the 2012 return), I have to claim the credit (line 49, form 8863) and not the income adjustment.

The IRS though has not begun accepting returns for taxpayers utilizing the 8863 form. So while I have submitted my taxes online to my tax preparation company (Tax Slayer, FWIW), they are holding the return until the IRS allows them to file it.

Ah, okay. Thanks Cards81fan!

Latest posts

Top Bottom