TCSO: Deputy shouldn't be charged because he confused his weapons (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deadly force not needed in the chase. But the mistake from the officer was made and is unfortunate. Felons still doing felon stuff shouldn't warrant charges against the officer for the incident unless proof shows he used firearm on purpose to use deadly force. Looks to be a mistake under the stress of those situations that can happen. The ability of the officer to continue in law enforcement should be the question in your eyes.
Even if he didn't shoot the guy on purpose he should still be subject to manslaughter charges. Because the deputy had a duty to know what weapon was in his hands. We don't just excuse accidental murders with a pat on the head. He should never be allowed to pin a badge on his chest again.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would someone carry a taser that close to their firearm where when they drawed they wouldnt know which they was drawing, most i have seen and been around carries their tasers in some form of a cross draw so there is no mistaken which weapon they are drawing.
And yes some kind of charges should be filled what if this had happened to a average citizen where they accidentally shot someone would they get a slap on the wrist and told dont let it happen again NO they would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I see no difference in this case now if he had a weapon and was firing it at someone that would be different, and what would have been said if he had shot one of his fellow officers in the back instead of the pert.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
what would have been said if he had shot one of his fellow officers in the back instead of the pert.
No reasonable person would argue that the officer deserved what he got, but life carries risks. More so if you engage in the types of activities he was involved in.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would someone carry a taser that close to their firearm where when they drawed they wouldnt know which they was drawing, most i have seen and been around carries their tasers in some form of a cross draw so there is no mistaken which weapon they are drawing.
And yes some kind of charges should be filled what if this had happened to a average citizen where they accidentally shot someone would they get a slap on the wrist and told dont let it happen again NO they would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I see no difference in this case now if he had a weapon and was firing it at someone that would be different, and what would have been said if he had shot one of his fellow officers in the back instead of the pert.

Point of order, if he shot another officer instead of the subject, he still wouldn't face manslaughter charges. As for the "average citizen", they'd never face a situation of this type. Non LE never performs felony drug/gun buys and then attempt to take said felon onto custody.

Each situation should be judged on it's own merits and these types of comparisons are rarely useful.

No reasonable person would argue that the officer deserved what he got, but life carries risks. More so if you engage in the types of activities he was involved in.

Yep. It's still relevant regardless of the victim. If I were the one shot, I wouldn't want my fellow deputy sent to prison over it. Just because it's a gun and not a football or a race car, doesn't mean it's any less an accident on the job.

That's another way to look at it, if a bit unorthodox. The dealer who got shot by the deputy was "on the job". He was there for a payday and it went South. A workplace accident by any other name... :anyone:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TCSO by allowing a 73 yr old to participate in a potentially dangerous operation could very well end up with some liability in this accidental shooting.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Warning: Graphic footage of the shooting:

The video footage shows Harris, 44, fleeing after police caught him illegally selling firearms during a sting operation. Police eventually grabbed Harris and pinned him down.

Bates, a 73-year-old reserve deputy, yelled that he's going to use his Taser, before he fired a single shot from his actual gun. Immediately after firing, Bates shouted, "I shot him! I'm sorry."

Harris then exclaimed, "He shot me. He shot me. Oh my god. I'm losing my breath." Police officers responded, "You shouldn't have ****ing ran!" and "**** your breath!"

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/12/8395457/eric-harris-police-shooting

Oklahoma prosecutors are investigating the shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
After watching the video, I predict the family will get a nice settlement from Tulsa county. I am surprised there isn't mass demonstrations with national news organizations covering this as well.

The fact TCSO allowed this senior citizen to be involved in an undercover deal that had great potential to become violent is beyond me.

Granted the guy broke the law and ran, he was also subdued and in the process of being handcuffed before grandpa decided to bust a cap in his side... Wonder what the outcome would have been if he would have shot one of the officers in the head.

If the gun recovered from the ground was the weapon gramps fired, he should definitely undergo a competency evaluation. To confuse a revolver for a stun gun, should not happen. I know mistakes happen, but LEOs are held to a higher standard because of training they receive.

The f*** your breath comment did make me laugh a little, though....

Latest posts

Top Bottom