TCSO: Deputy shouldn't be charged because he confused his weapons (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most Agencies depend on Unpaid Volunteers to even staff patrols. Every Agency I've ever worked for didn't pay OT period. No money in the budget.

The first one I worked for averaged 20-25% of all patrol shifts worked by unpaid volunteers, sometimes as the only deputy on duty for the entire county. A single accident could devastate the entire annual budget. :(

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first one I worked for averaged 20-25% of all patrol shifts worked by unpaid volunteers, sometimes as the only deputy on duty for the entire county. A single accident could devastate the entire annual budget. :(

That's what Insurance is for. I carry personal liability rider, and keep a lawyer in retainer. Plus FOP. Gotta cover your butt, accident's happen.
Every one is focusing on the guys age or that he's a reserve. Could have happened to a full time cop.

Personally, I'd take it to jury trial. I think he's got a good chance of a acquittal.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what Insurance is for. I carry personal liability rider, and keep a lawyer in retainer. Plus FOP. Gotta cover your butt, accident's happen.
Every one is focusing on the guys age or that he's a reserve. Could have happened to a full time cop.

Personally, I'd take it to jury trial. I think he's got a good chance of a acquittal.

He's going to have the best representation money can buy in Oklahoma.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, this starts and ends with an officer aiming, shooting and killing a suspect that was already down and being controlled by a number of other officers.
Mistake, poor judgment, the dead guy's past history or recent illegal actions, etc., is only of concern to the jury. The Tulsa Co. Sheriff can close their internal investigation any time they want to and cite any BS excuse they choose, but it's up to the DA to decide if and what criminal charges will be filed.

That was something I was wondering about as well.

You have what appear to be two officers that have some level of physical control over Harris. While he's not complying with them, he is on the ground at this point.

So why would any TRAINED officer at that point deploy the use of a taser. First you have other officers you could hit (yes I know its got a fancy laser pointer, but bodies are shuffling around) and secondly aren't there risks of the electrical charge crossing from the suspect to the officer in physical contact with him?

It seems like a really bad call to use that tactic in that particular situation.

...even worse when the taser is a revolver.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was something I was wondering about as well.

You have what appear to be two officers that have some level of physical control over Harris. While he's not complying with them, he is on the ground at this point.

So why would any TRAINED officer at that point deploy the use of a taser. First you have other officers you could hit (yes I know its got a fancy laser pointer, but bodies are shuffling around) and secondly aren't there risks of the electrical charge crossing from the suspect to the officer in physical contact with him?

It seems like a really bad call to use that tactic in that particular situation.

...even worse when the taser is a revolver.
Thats where the advanced age of this officer comes into play. Was he mental alert enough to know that he had his pistol in hands vs the taser,

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats where the advanced age of this officer comes into play. Was he mental alert enough to know that he had his pistol in hands vs the taser,

Still don't think age is the factor. Stress really messes up your brain in these types of incidents.
I've seen plenty of 21-30 year old cops freeze up or do some wonky stuff under extreme stress.

I've only watch the news clip, I really don't know why the guy was trying to tazer him. Tazers aren't precise on what they it. Plenty of spread once fired.

I've had partners run up and pepper spray me and another cop once we had a guy handcuffed on the ground. We were trying to stand the guy up, and another deputy runs up and blasts every one with a canister of pepper spray. Needless to say he was not allowed to carry any type of OC after that. He did receive OC in his patrol car, in his car vent for numerous months after that. He also received a new pet skunk in his car...

Stress is the cause of all these problems, that's why every one should be sitting around practicing drawing in front of a mirror!

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because unpaid volunteers take OT opportunities away from FT LEO's.
Ok, I can understand that.

At a lot of agencies these reserves are filling the gaps in the budget. But I doubt that's the case at Tulsa County.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

Latest posts

Top Bottom