Teaching nephew to shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zandroes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to take my nephew out to shoot/handle a gun for the first time. Where can I get some material for him to possibly read before moving to actually handling the gun?
Any suggestions? I've never taught anyone how to use/operate a gun..
Thanks..

Armedmomma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your nephew a child? Start out handling a bb gun or airsoft until he handles it as safely as he should any "real gun".

Emphasize safety and make sure you always show Jim the gun is clear before you hand it to him and that he does the same for you.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Print of the(Google search)Ten Comandments of Gun Safty, have him study them, explain each rule and define what each means, when he understands them and knows how to follow them take him shooting, not until!!!

As stated above get a BB gun or air soft rifle to teach him with. If he handles them saftly per the rules then move up to a 22 rifle, after he has learned how to shoot accuratly them take him hunting.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the bb gun.

Also, teaching to shoot a real gun begins with cleaning them. You can use that opportunity to show how each part of it works and proper handling technique. Plus get lots of dry firing time.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DONT think reading the book is enough. Nothing is better than being hands on with him. Tell him the rules of shooting AND THEN why we have those rules in place. and also WHY smart/safe shooters do what we do to keep ourselves and others around us as safe as possible.

zandroes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's some good stuff! Thanks guys.
There will be constant supervision. I didn't think of bb gun. I may go that route. I did the searches you posted up. That what I was looking for. Kind of a rules to show him and a curriculum to follow along so I not stumbling thru points.

Latest posts

Top Bottom