Any Preppers Using Pellet Air Rifles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, in a true survival/shtf situation, all of our livestock and wildlife would likely be killed off faster than we care to think about. I
The problem therein is that the screwballs in DC want to do away with beef so there may not be any when we are in need. Meanwhile John Kerry flew in a private jet to the Global Climate Summit as idd 200 other attendees in their private jets and they had all had fine meals of beef steak and all the nice foodstuff they want us to do without. We absolutely have to get these kooks out of office but that is another sore subject.

I just wondered if anyone was using or considering using a pellet gun to bring small game to the table. As a kid, I used to ditch school and hunt rabbit with a shotgun, bring the game home and fry it for eating. Charley, who was a friend of mine in childhood, could bring down a rabbit on the run with his Benjamin .22 pellet gun. I was never that good.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man oh man do I resemble THAT statement! 🤗🤣
I'm a slacker. Only have about 4k rounds of .22LR. Do have most of a thousand rounds of 9mm handloads from my brother. Nothing that shoots it though. Don't like the caliber or most of the guns that use it. What I want is 12500 rounds for each weapon. Want in one hand and expectorate in the other...

;)

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a slacker. Only have about 4k rounds of .22LR. Do have most of a thousand rounds of 9mm handloads from my brother. Nothing that shoots it though. Don't like the caliber or most of the guns that use it. What I want is 12500 rounds for each weapon. Want in one hand and expectorate in the other...

;)

I feel ya there too. No matter how much ammo "we" have "we" ALWAYS need more. Not too long ago Grumpy found a box of .22 with a TGY price sticker on it. 😛 The sticker was so faded you couldn't read the price but DAMN ... Lol I gotta teach that man FIFO ... Haha!

I will NEVER forget when LoneWolf'49 passed away. We went over to his house to help his widow inventory everything and price what she didn't want to keep. :ooh2::woohoo1::woohoo1: I can't even venture a guess about how much ammo we bought from her, all I know is that we have a LARGE tornado shelter and that place is standing room only, with just enough room on the steps to walk down single file. 🤦🤦🤦🤦

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently resealed a Crosman pellet rifle or air gun and wonder if anyone is planning on using a pellet gun for survival if the situation presents itself? I've read recently where an individual did survive using a pellet rifle shooting rabbits, squirrels and other varmints to exist in a desert atmosphere.
I own a lot of airguns, but this is the one I got for that purpose...no longer available but there is a newer version of it.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/crosman-doomsday-bug-out-air-rifle-kit?m=2913
I want something backpack friendly as carrying another full sized rifle isn't practical.

ALSO, there is something to be said about 177cal being better for survival. The pellets are smaller and lighter weight than 22cal pellets. I have other options besides the one I linked to above and I still have not decided the 177 v 22 airgun debate in the context specifically of survival. I currently feel link if I had a 10/22 with me, then the 177 airgun would be fine.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

;)

You are about 25K behind me on 22lr.

Slacker.....

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a lot of airguns, but this is the one I got for that purpose...no longer available but there is a newer version of it.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/crosman-doomsday-bug-out-air-rifle-kit?m=2913
I want something backpack friendly as carrying another full sized rifle isn't practical.

ALSO, there is something to be said about 177cal being better for survival. The pellets are smaller and lighter weight than 22cal pellets. I have other options besides the one I linked to above and I still have not decided the 177 v 22 airgun debate in the context specifically of survival. I currently feel link if I had a 10/22 with me, then the 177 airgun would be fine.

Amazon has something similar. But it includes the grips to make it a regular pistol too.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-2289CFKT-22-Caliber-Variable-Single-Shot/dp/B096P662JY

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ALSO, there is something to be said about 177cal being better for survival. The pellets are smaller and lighter weight than 22cal pellets.
The .177 Cal will indeed shoot further due to being of lighter weight but I have read where the .22 has more knockdown power which to me is logical since they are of heavier weight. Kind of like, "Would you rather be slapped by a 110# woman or hit by a 220# man?" I want neither!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To answer your question John no, I haven’t considered a pellet gun as an option. My suppressed 22 is quieter than a non-suppressed air rifle. In fact the impact of my 22 on the cardboard backer is louder than the report of the rifle. As to being able to pack more pellets than 22’s me thinks if that’s my issue I have much bigger problems to deal with then rounds carried. In a SHTF bug-out holy crap the zombies are after me I want to keep things as simple as possible. If it comes to bartering I’d think 22LR will be something more folks would want over pellets too. Another thought is that you will eventually run out of pellets and a more long-term solution might be a better choice. Say a sling or slingshot. Last I checked there’s a limitless supply of rocks here in Oklahoma. 😉

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon has something similar. But it includes the grips to make it a regular pistol too.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-2289CFKT-22-Caliber-Variable-Single-Shot/dp/B096P662JY
Yeah that's the newer version. I have found that for a pistol I prefer just the Crosman 1322 vs the longer barrel. In fact, I have several rigs that use the 10.1" barrel with folding stocks and removable LDC's that are even better than the Doomsday "Backpacker" 2289 gun.

The longer barrel gets you a little more velocity but you can mod the gun to put out more power and keep the flush barrel. The flush barrel w/ the folding stock and a few power mods to me is the "ultimate"' backpack pumper airgun.

Last edited:

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have been wanting a .25 caliber Weihrauch HW97 for so long - but just never made it a priority. My Henry lever action .22 was cheaper and is pretty darn quiet when using shorts

Thing of beauty though -- have little doubt it would do the job on small game close in

but to accurately answer the question -- nope , not really considering an airgun for preps -- but want one for another toy and would be a great backyard target plinker

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw97k/

Latest posts

Top Bottom