Tech Layoffs Coming Tidal Wave - The Tracker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on both sides in my illustrious IT career. When I was a DB2/IMS developer in the early 90s, we did work some long hours but most development work now is done offshore. We have architects and SMEs that answer questions and assess code so it goes back and forth a couple of times.

Was a manager then stepped down to be a Project Manager. I don't have those long days anymore either. I have to occasionally work a weekend when we have a software load but that's not very often. They are trying to start getting more out of us by combining roles/responsibilities. Hopefully 3 1/2 years until retirement and won't care what they do!

The last time I worked a weekend was two years ago when we migrated to a new F5 . We started at 3am on a Saturday Morning and were done with application testing by 10 am .

I left managerment to be a PM as well, and then moved from Project Management to Program Management about 8 years ago .

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My last SANS training was in Seattle in 2018 at the Renaissance Hotel not far from the King Street Station . I spent 12 to 14 hour days in SANS training so aside from the final day where I managed to get out and go to Pikes Place Market for dinner . Around the corner and down the hill was an Amazon Go where I was buying my meals to save Per Diem. There was not a single night I didn't have to wade through a large number of homeless around that very expensive hotel in downtown Seattle. I won't even go into the piles of hypodermic needles that were scattered everywhere which I am sure they all get for free because Methadone clinics are a thing in that part of the United States .
Pike Place ;)

You were in Pioneer Square which has always be sketchy, it is where the term Skid Row originated. The Amazon Go stores are going away, they are part of the round of layoffs, and homeless problem. Methadone clinics are typically oral and don't give out syringes. the issue lies with another org, the Peoples Harm Reduction Alliance, unlike a needle exchange, which is a return aneedle get a needle, PHRA just gives out packs of needle, which winds up all over the street. It is ran by a guy by the name of Shilo Murphy who is a heroine addict who found a way to fund his addiction to the tune taking a $100,000 salary from govt grant money while ensuring a constant supply of college girl volunteers from the University of Washington which is also tied to the program. Director of People's Harm Reduction Alliance Targeted for Helping Drug Users. It is amazing how much one man can damage a city. PHRA is also involved in setting policy on the national level.

I the record for needles I pulled off someone's person was 107. I am damn lucky I never got stuck, but other first responders and RNs were not so lucky.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My last SANS training was in Seattle in 2018 at the Renaissance Hotel not far from the King Street Station . I spent 12 to 14 hour days in SANS training so aside from the final day where I managed to get out and go to Pikes Place Market for dinner . Around the corner and down the hill was an Amazon Go where I was buying my meals to save Per Diem. There was not a single night I didn't have to wade through a large number of homeless around that very expensive hotel in downtown Seattle. I won't even go into the piles of hypodermic needles that were scattered everywhere which I am sure they all get for free because Methadone clinics are a thing in that part of the United States .
Also reminded me of when I took the bus to work in that area, nicknamed the social services express, through that area. Stops were:
County courthouse
County Jail
Municipal courthouse
Public housing
County hospital
Hospital
Methadone Clinic
Juvenile Hall
Hospital
Welfare office

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These layoffs are just part of the return to normal. All these tech companies hired hundreds of people due to the massive tech demand during covid and now it’s over. There is no more huge demand and companies don’t need all those employees so back to their normal workforce they go. Same with hospitals, all those people being laid off are a result of hospitals spending crazy amounts of money during covid and are in debt. They were banking on the China virus to last forever.

Last edited:

xtremerange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Automation is replacing people in all industries and its adoption is exponential .

A lot of automation, like the one you highlight, retrofits into existing production setups. The restaurant already has the fryers so add a robot arm with some sensors and a little integration for minimal investment.
Now imagine a completely new kitchen.

Maybe a totally different physical arrangement. I can imagine something for the fryer like a pizza oven with a conveyor. Maybe several different lines that run at different speeds. No arms needed just shoots and tubes with measuring sensors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom