Texas bill introduced to require Drunk Drivers to pay child support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The article said they would start paying when they was released from custody, thats one reason why i said good luck collecting.
To me its just another feel good law, the law makers make these laws to make themselves feel good and say they are doing something but in reality they arent doing anything put putting ink to paper.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, the drunk driver likely gets sued by the family AND has to pay child support for the kids? Something doesn't seem right about that to me. If he has to pay child support, he shouldn't get sued as well. If he's ordered to pay when sued that should be deducted from the child support. Yeah, I can see the homeless camps growing their populations over this...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got it chopped down to $5000 a month, IIRC. But I see no evidence that HB can't afford to pay more. And looks like something better to do with his money than put it up his nose. Long as the kid's mother isn't putting it up HER nose either.
That's a shame. But at 20,000 a month, I'd like the courts to make sure a large portion of that went into a trust for the kid to make sure mom didn't put the big money into her nose or fine lifestyle, neglecting the kid in the process.
When I got divorced, I got full custody and child support. As the kids were in their teens, it didn't last long, but it was put into an investment account. They both got their money from their mother in the full amount when they hit 25 years old. I kept the interest for my troubles.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The more I think about it I think I agree.

That said in my mind you’d have to be drunk, drunk or on drugs. Not just a drink or two at the bar or impaired, after all many parents are killed with no drugs or alcohol involved.

That said it’s a slippery slope, why limit it to drinking?

If this happens the Social Security benefits for minors should be cut way back. It shouldn’t come out of those funds anyway, lord know we give billions to foreign countries that hate us IMO.

Texas drunk drivers have to pay child support if they kill a parent​

https://www.kristv.com/texas-drunk-drivers-have-to-pay-child-support-if-they-kill-a-parent

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Convicted drunk drivers who kill both parents of a child under 18 years old will now be required to pay child support under a bill signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott earlier this month."

I'm curious how often this actually happens. So they're talking about an intact family; not children of divorce. Need to think about this some more, but this could be an equal protection of laws issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom