Text a check?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you send a picture of the check, they have the bank number and the account number at the bottom of the check and can convert that to an electronic payment by entering it into their payment software like “phonepay” or whatever they use.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you send a picture of the check, they have the bank number and the account number at the bottom of the check and can convert that to an electronic payment by entering it into their payment software like “phonepay” or whatever they use.
Exactly! No different than when I pay my personal property tax "by check" over the interweb. But I would imagine the receiver is the one who needs to jump through hoops to do this or it would be a big mess of fraud.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... But I would imagine the receiver is the one who needs to jump through hoops to do this or it would be a big mess of fraud.

The documentation requirements would have to be very tedious, or I would think they are.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

^ ^ This pretty much. Then the electronic charge hits your account via ACH debit.

They don't even actually NEED a picture of the check. They probably only keep that picture for potential disputes.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First if I heard of using text messaging in this way. I suppose it's just a new way of doing an ACH payment. Using the checking account vs credit card saves on transaction fees.

Sarah Staff

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi - It is not safe to text a check because the text message (MMS or SMS) will bounce off of relay points where the picture of your check is saved or cached. Hackers can easily get access to these stored texts with the images and compromise your identity. When you buy a gun, the dealer should use the secure Text-a-Check app. This uses SSL and encrypts the data. Then your details about what you are buying and your bank account number remain just between you and the seller.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not paid for a gun that way and don't plan to. Some sellers charge CC fees and some don't. I tend to do business with the ones that do not charge CC fees.

Sarah Staff

New to the site!
Reaction score
Did y'all know you can text a picture of your filled out check to pay for stuff? Yep, ordered a new pistol from Kentucky Gun Company. Paid for with the text-a-check method so I could take advantage of the cash price. Now I knew as long as I had checks I always had money but in this day and age some folks don't take checks. This text-a-check method means green flag racing for the Cowcatcher again! Anybody got stuff for sale? My preferred payment method is text-a-check!
Are you using https://text-a-check.com for this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom