That's it, game over. Maybe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was part of Obamacare. No more private student loans. They can only be gotten through the government now.

From what I've read, that's not entirely true. Private student loans are still available, but subject to tighter limits to qualify. Which makes sense...since they lost the insurance of having the loans backed by the .gov, the banks have to make sure they are protecting their investment.

I'm sure that had that effect of edging many private lenders out of the market.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've read, that's not entirely true. Private student loans are still available, but subject to tighter limits to qualify. Which makes sense...since they lost the insurance of having the loans backed by the .gov, the banks have to make sure they are protecting their investment.

I'm sure that had that effect of edging many private lenders out of the market.

There may be very strictly controlled private student loans out there still, but I don't think you could actually qualify for one if there are. What my friends and mother in law (who's going back to school to get her nursing degree) is that the schools are saying no more private loans, only government backed loans, and the school is the judge on how much you can borrow, not you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom