The .375 H&H rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some excerpts from gunwriters. They seem to mostly agree that the .375 is the last rifle they'd let go.

http://webpages.charter.net/375magnum/allrd.htm

Who here shoots this "medium bore" piece of history?

I have one that I lucked onto. It's fun to shoot, accurate, and definitely enough gun. Recoil is surprisingly soft for a magnum weapon. My .338 WinMag kicks a lot harder. I want a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H.

I'm always looking around for brass and bullets. CB

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awww.orchardphoto.com_d7zo13.jpg
Here's a Jackal I took with mine. You can use the 375 H&H Magnum for pretty much anything if you use the right bullet.

Coming soon to my door, an Encore handgun barrel chambered for this classic.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one that I lucked onto. It's fun to shoot, accurate, and definitely enough gun. Recoil is surprisingly soft for a magnum weapon. My .338 WinMag kicks a lot harder

The 300 mag crowd thinks I'm nuts for saying if you need something larger than a .270, get a .375. Picked up that attitude in Alaska (always TDY, never got PCS there).
The most intimidating gun for recoil I ever shot was a 5 1/2 pound .338 "Alaska fishing protection short rifle." Had to be about to get eaten by a bear or a maniac to shoot that thing without a 10# bag between it and your shoulder. :yikes2:

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Sako that I bought from a CA distributor in the early 90's. One of a limited run produced with 20" barrels. Great for boar, bear, elk, etc in the brush. It always has a home.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a .375 when I lived in Alaska. A browning stainless stalker with a burris 2-7x. Perfect for the game and environment up there. I reloaded for it. I agree, it's great for any game from small deer to rhino when loaded properly. And the recoil is move like a big hard shove as opposed to a hard kick. I regret selling that rifle.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What brand rifles are you using for the .375 H&H? What do you like and dislike about them?

My first 375 H&H Magnum was an Encore. I liked the power and accuracy but with the Encores fairly short length of pull, I had to be VERY carful if didn't want a scope bite. I took 2 Warthogs, an Impala, a Blesbok, a Blue Wildebeest and a Zebra with that rifle; all one shot kills.

I sold that barrel and bought a Blaser R 93. It's the sweetest shooting 375 you could imagine likely because of the Kick Stop in the buttstock. It's also quite accurate and the action is SMOOOTH.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine was imported by Interarms, probably in the early 80s. Action is a Mauser commercial made, I think, in Yugoslavia. Barrel, wood, etc. were fitted in London by Whitworth.

Finish is a polymer- it shines:grumble:-over some sort of straight grained walnut. I have a Pentax 1.5-6x40 scope on it that works real well. It shoots overlapping holes at 100 yards, and it destroys less meat than higher velocity smaller caliber weapons.

I bought it from an old friend at a giveaway price. Planned to resell it, shot it one session, and was hooked. Last time I looked these up on the internet, they were going for $700 or so for rusty ones, and $1200ish for ones in the shape of mine (99%). CB

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the .375 H&H Mag. As noted above, recoil is more of a shove rather than a giant slap. I always felt that the recoil is much gentler than a 7mm Mag.

My first was a Remington 700 custom in Colorado from a guy who bought one for an elk hunt but didn't even shoot it. He only bore-sighted the rifle and decided that it was too much gun for him.

You can load light (210 gr) for deer and antelope or heavier (300 gr) for elk and more dangerous games.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy of mine in Montana uses his 375 H&H for moose, grizzly, and elk.

I have a 300 H&H and love it!!! I have taken Okie deer, New Mexico antelope, and SouthWest Colorado mule deer and elk with it.

One draw back, it kicks like an angry mule!!!:thumb:

Cohiba

Latest posts

Top Bottom