The ammunition that has gun owners drooling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They lost a bit of credibility with me when they compared the leading edge with a hole saw. Pistol barrels have twist rates between 1:9 and 1:18. Even at 1:9, that's pretty slow for a hole saw comparison. But you have to admit, it's the first radical bullet design in quite some time. I'll be interested in seeing Ayoob's and other's test results.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't agree this new round is like them. The concept of multiple wound channels is impressive, but the original M-16 that used a 1-12 twist was designed to make the bullet unstable , and the lack of crimp of the copper jacket at the base allowed the bullet to yaw, and get separation from the jacket/lead core creating multiple wound channels as well. Accuracy at any distance with the .55 grain suffered, and the twist was changed to the 1-8 in the early 70's that stabilized the .55 grain FMJ in use at the time.

Not trying to be nit-picky or a know-it-all, but your info is slightly incorrect. The M16 and M16A1 had a 1/12" twist for their entire service history (other than the very first M16's which had a 1/14" twist that would not stabilize in extreme cold). The standard ammo used in the M16 and M16A1 was the M193 with a 55gr FMJ projectile. When the M16A2 was adopted in the mid 1980's it was designed to shoot the heavier/longer M855 62gr projectile and the 1/7" twist was used in these. The 1/7" twist and M855 ammo has continued with the M16A3, M16A4, M4 and M4A1. Today the army is trying to go green with the lead-free M855A1 ammo.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
96 grains at 1265 fps equals 341 foot-pounds of energy, not 490. So right off the bat this sounds like a farce. Also, there are a number of lighter bullet offerings making wild claims like this that are unproven in the real world. If it was a large energy dump round, and could really penetrate 16 inches of ballistic gel, then maybe it would be something new, but so far the claims and numbers don't add up.
I am guessing joules but it is still a little off.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading another thread about this over on defensivecarry.com...some guy over there who is claiming to be a company rep said they plan on doing proper testing using FBI protocols in calibrated ballistic gelatin sometime soon.

Call me crazy but that would be one of the first tests, if not THE first test, I would run before attempting to market a new round....unless I was just trying to make fast money off of mall-ninjas.

My gut tells me this is nothing more than snake oil.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to be nit-picky or a know-it-all, but your info is slightly incorrect. The M16 and M16A1 had a 1/12" twist for their entire service history (other than the very first M16's which had a 1/14" twist that would not stabilize in extreme cold).

Your right. My memory failed me. It was the 1-14.

Latest posts

Top Bottom