Dog antibiotics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several bottles of amoxicillin that was given to my dogs and I never used them. I don’t know why it would be any different than what humans can get. Has any of y’all used antibiotics on yourself that were given to a pet? I can’t see them hurting me but I don’t know. Your information will be much appreciated.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several bottles of amoxicillin that was given to my dogs and I never used them. I don’t know why it would be any different than what humans can get. Has any of y’all used antibiotics on yourself that were given to a pet? I can’t see them hurting me but I don’t know. Your information will be much appreciated.

as long as it is labeled.....amoxicillin is amoxicillin. I've done the opposite many times.....my doxycycline left over used on a goat or a dog, etc.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dosages of it is given to dogs by weight. So one would have to figure out the weight ratio.

But I myself would go to Doc and let them decide what is good for your needs.

But also, I would keep it on hand till it gets grossly out of date.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember—it’s not just the dosage that counts, it’s also the duration of treatment. When a doctor writes you a prescription, the dosage and duration are designed to kill off all of the bad bacteria, which is why you’re admonished to complete the course of treatment. If you don’t kill all the bad bacteria, you end up with antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Also, the doctor can ensure that antibiotics are an appropriate treatment—antibiotics are only good against bacterial infections. If what you have is a virus, taking antibiotics won’t help, and it can hurt, as it can kill the good bacteria in your body.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't get "real" medicine from a pharmacy for any prescription a doctor may have written me (nor did any family member for that matter) until I was in college and just couldn't make it home to raid dad's medicine "cabinet". It's all the same stuff. As long as you check the label and know how to calculate dosages, you are not gonna start barking ... Or playing king of the mountain with all the other goats ... **

**I am not a medical professional but I have worked at both a Holiday Inn AND a Holiday Inn Express. Come to think about it, I've also STAYED at both a Holiday Inn and a Holiday Inn Express. Wonder if that means I have an advanced degree?? 🤔🧐🤔🧐

Latest posts

Top Bottom