The Chevy VOLT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. Nobody wants a damn Volt. If the people wanted it, the Gov would not have to pay off people to take it.

I'd love to have one. IF..... They would ditch the electric drive BS, put a regular battery in it and a twin turbo charged V6 ala Ford's EcoBoost. I'd be all over that and so would a whole bunch of other folks. No subsidies needed.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the "all of the above" energy policy that Obama touted while he was here. Someone needs to explain to me how electric cars are cleaner than high efficiency gasoline or diesel, if you are burning coal to produce the electricity. If we had an aggressive nuclear power program I might begin to believe in the electric car option.

Not to mention that they ship the rare materials for the batteries from Canada to China, then ship the batteries back. It has been a year or so but I read a study that the Volt and it's manufacturing are worse for the environment then a good fuel efficient car.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The credit applies to many cars, not just the Volt. Not saying it's a good idea, but it isn't just the Volt. Also, it's a credit. For someone like me that always gets a refund, I don't apply for a dime of the credit.

It is a tax credit which the lefties like to call a subsidy when it comes to oil companies.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chevy Volt demand high in Europe

GM sold more than 7,000 units of the European version of the extended range electric vehicle since it went on sale in February.

General Motors may have had to slow production of the Chevy Volt in the U.S. due to low demand, but it's flying out the door of dealerships in Europe.

The Opel Ampera, the European version of the extended range hybrid, went on sale in Europe in February, and has already received more than 7,000 orders, according to a Digital Trends article. That's almost as many plug-in hybrids the automaker sold in the U.S. all of last year.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_...-high-in-europe/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IT'S ALL PART OF THE GRAND PLAN..!!!!
Eric Bolling test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine. Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity. I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile. The gasoline powered car costs about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more that 7 time as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It could be that in Europe and metropolitan cities something like this might eventually be used by some people. I live 15 miles from the nearest loaf of bread. I would not be able to make it back on electric power. I guess I could spend a little extra time and find an outdoor outlet to "borrow" some electricity (may be on the backside of the gas station on the corner of the grocery store lot) and wait for it to charge. It seems to make more sense for me to buy a horse and not use any electricity or use any gasoline. I bet I could find someone that would like to have a little grass nibbled down while I was shopping, but then here you go with the original pollution problem again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom