The Chevy VOLT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck my crappy Tahoe costs $0.23 per mile at $3.69/gallon right now. Heck of a lot better than paying for the electricity to run that thing!
23 cents per mile huh?

The volt travels that same mile on only 3.8 cents of electricity.
->Linky <-

And that is calculated at the national average of 11 cents per KWHR that most people pay for electricity instead of the 8.5 cents per KWHR that most Oklahomans pay.
In addition to that, my coop OEC, only charges 5.5 cents per KWHR once you reach a certain level of consumption.
Add in the convenience of recharging at night while I'm asleep instead of wasting time at the gas station.

Look, I'm not a car salesman trying to convince you guys to buy an electric car.
I just thought it was interesting that the volt is selling so well in Europe and thought I would share the article with you guys.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If everyone drove and ev our energy consumption would go through the roof. Kinda like when everyone first switched to natural gas cause it was "cheap" as more people use it the price goes up. Also, I don't believe our power grid is capable of even 50% of drivers driving one. Hell we had power outages just from the A/C use over the summer.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If everyone drove and ev our energy consumption would go through the roof. Kinda like when everyone first switched to natural gas cause it was "cheap" as more people use it the price goes up. Also, I don't believe our power grid is capable of even 50% of drivers driving one. Hell we had power outages just from the A/C use over the summer.
That's a really good point there. You have to invest in infrastructure to make it work on a large scale.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even IF we did have the infrastructure, the energy consumption of our country would rise. Electricity is a carrier of energy, not an energy source, and since we can't conceivably store electricity on a wide scale, we loose it if we don't use it.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy one either, but we have to keep looking for and working on alternatives. Oil WILL eventually run out and we have no viable replacement.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True, but we do have a large supply of natural gas, and i'm not sure if I believe it, but it's touted we have a 100 year supply of it in the us. Sure would be nice if we would use it... Bring jobs to the us, cut down on foreign spending that could be used to research alternative fuel sources, not to mention lighten the cost of fuel for Americans. But that's crazy talk!

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True, but we do have a large supply of natural gas, and i'm not sure if I believe it, but it's touted we have a 100 year supply of it in the us. Sure would be nice if we would use it... Bring jobs to the us, cut down on foreign spending that could be used to research alternative fuel sources, not to mention lighten the cost of fuel for Americans.

I only hope someday there will be more CNG vehicles available. I know more commercial companies are switching to it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did I mention that the Volt is powered by coal?

Not for long.

EPA's proposed rule would set an emissions limit on new power plants of 1,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per megawatt-hour of power.

Click here for full article

Obama's EPA has effectively banned all new coal fired plants and will eventually put the coal industry down for a dirt nap. The other side of that coin is going to be NG fired plants, but we will be paying more for electricity because even though NG is cheap now, it ain't cheaper to use than coal. I heard from somewhere that we would likely see a 20% increase in the next month or so, but I don't know how they were figuring that, so I'm inclined to think they were talking out their a$$. But it will come, just don't know when.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not for long.

Click here for full article

Obama's EPA has effectively banned all new coal fired plants and will eventually put the coal industry down for a dirt nap. The other side of that coin is going to be NG fired plants, but we will be paying more for electricity because even though NG is cheap now, it ain't cheaper to use than coal. I heard from somewhere that we would likely see a 20% increase in the next month or so, but I don't know how they were figuring that, so I'm inclined to think they were talking out their a$$. But it will come, just don't know when.

Trust me, it will be much more than 20%.
Your only hope is to get this guy out of office and abolish the czars.

The news media and the NG folks that are poised to make trillions of dollars if this goes through will be swimming in cash.
Supply and demand. If the NG industry says we only have 100 years, would not the price increase even more as the end of the supply is in looming?
There is over a thousand years of coal reserves in the US.

Latest posts

Top Bottom