The Dillon Stork visited me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the Dillion stork visited the house today thanks to FedEx and dropped off a bunch of blue stuff including the new 550 press! Yahoo! Now I just need to get it all setup and I can load up some rounds before I go out of town for the holidays!

It's a great day!

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take your time and get everything setup right. A progressive press can make a lot of good ammo quickly, but they can also make a lot of bad ammo quickly as well.

The biggest historical danger on the 550 press is a powder double charge if you forget to rotate the shellplate and not notice that you didn't place a bullet to be seated. Don't allow yourself to be distracted while reloading! ALWAYS see the powder charge inside a pistol case before placing a bullet to be seated. Get a desk lamp and place the strong light where you can easily see inside the case. A double (or no) charge will be very obvious and you can fix the problem before a bullet gets seated. A bottleneck rifle case will generally overflow powder on a double charge so it's obvious they have too much powder.

The 550 is a great press (I use one by choice) but see the powder inside every case and don't allow distractions.

Don't worry about meeting an arbitrary loading rate per hour; just make good ammo and speed will come naturally.

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the Dillion stork visited the house today thanks to FedEx and dropped off a bunch of blue stuff including the new 550 press! Yahoo! Now I just need to get it all setup and I can load up some rounds before I go out of town for the holidays!

It's a great day!

In my opinion the Dillon stork left the 550 at the wrong house. I do not think you will be able to take care of it properly and would like to offer my services as Foster parents for the Dillon 550 to ensure that it reaches it's full potential. Just wanting to help.:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Shady

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well working on setting everything up. Just taking it step by step. I'll load up some 308 tomorrow night to take to the range on Tuesday. If all goes well I'll load some up for a turkey hunt next week!

Pics a coming...

1911user: Thanks for the tip. I have added some extra lighting to my work bench just for loading. I'll keep an eye on the charge..

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

The biggest historical danger on the 550 press is a powder double charge if you forget to rotate the shellplate and not notice that you didn't place a bullet to be seated. Don't allow yourself to be distracted while reloading!

Check out my pressmonitor - http://www.pressmonitordevice.com

It *eliminates* the forget to rotate the shellplate double charge issue!

ALWAYS see the powder charge inside a pistol case before placing a bullet to be seated.

VERY good advice!

Congrats JesseR on a fine press!!

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom