The new Christian Forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most non-believers, at least those who grew up in an environment where that is the norm, wanted to believe and simply couldn't.

My girlfriend remembers hating herself as a kid because god seemed to speak to all her relatives and not her. She thought she was bad or something was wrong with her. Nowadays said relatives are what I call "Sheetmetal Christians" (those are Christians who attend mega churches, which are often built in the manner of pole barns, warehouses, or livestock arenas) where they regularly speak in tongues.

Now, are these people actually being moved to speak in tongues by some intangible force known only to people who have been baptized, or are they nutjobs?

Most people don't sit around wanting to deny the existence of god out of bitterness or spite. In fact, most of them spend their childhood wondering why they don't "get it", so to speak. Most remember being 5,8,10, 12 years old and trying and trying to make themselves be something they just weren't. Any bitterness they may have could likely be explained by being made to feel as though something is wrong with them during their formative years.

Wise words. Spiritual abuse is common in mainstream churches. I have attended quite a few baptist or similar congregations over the years. One example would be a southern baptist church where the preacher claimed that if you failed to tithe 10% of your gross,not net, you were robbing God and were in danger of the fires of hell... Wrong...
As for the charismatics, my 1st wife invited the preacher from that church we had been attending. Why? To lay hands on me so that I might receive the gift. She did this without my knowledge and so I was ambushed after dinner. They lay hands on, prayed fervently and......... nothing...
So I felt like a big loser who must be on God's crap list. That is spiritual abuse and it drives many sincere seekers away,leaving them angry and wanting nothing to do with God, Jesus, and Joel Osteen.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, you won't hear that from me because "accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior" isn't enough. According to the Bible, there are six things one must do for salvation, not just "accepting Jesus."

Who Is in the Body of Christ?
Q: According to you, what must a person do (or not do), say (or not say), believe (or not believe), confess (or not confess), etc, in order to be "in the body of Christ" today?

I ask this, as it appears that you believe that you are "in the body of Christ", while most others are not.

A: I will begin by saying that faith is a gift of God, and no one can believe anything unless God imparts the belief.

Having said that, here is what those who have been chosen beforehand as members of the body of Christ, will be believing:

1. The death of Christ for their sins.
2. The resurrection of Christ.

These points are taken from 1 Corinthians 15:3-4. That's it. While these seem simple at first glance, orthodox theology has made them complicated. The doctrine of Free Will destroys the truth that Christ died FOR OUR SINS, because Free Will claims we deliver ourselves from our sins by believing in Jesus. Subsequent to the cross, our default setting is still eternal torment, and it's UP TO US to believe. This is NOT saving faith.

The teaching of the Trinity screws up the death of Christ. No one who believes in the Trinity believes Christ died. Why not? 1) The Trinity claims that Christ is absolutely God, 2) God can't die, therefore 3), Christ did not die.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There would be no need for a "Christians-only" sub forum if a handful of individuals would simply act like adults and stop the incessant trolling and disrespectful behavior...this applies to both sides.

As a Christian, I am repulsed at some of the irreverent comments that are being made (not just in this thread) towards believers or about their God. I am also sick and tired of the insinuation that all followers of Christ are all weak minded, brain-washed, spiritually abusive, hypocritical bigots. I honestly feel that is unfortunate that your experiences in life have left you with these feelings. What is even more unfortunate is that your interactions with other imperfect men have led you to form a negative opinion about my God. As I have stated before, the true Gospel of Jesus Christ has been distorted by sinful man whether for personal gain, self-glorification, or convenience sake. Christianity should not be a complex matter...all mankind is sinful, has fallen short, and rebelled against their creator and his law. Without his grace freeing us from the penalty of sin, we all are lost and doomed to an eternity separated from our creator. Our God walked this earth as a sinless man and then bore the required punishment for all of man's sin...all because he loves and cherishes you and I. Somehow this simple truth has been lost...

In anyone wants to call me out as part of the problem, you are welcome to. I try my best to treat everyone regardless of their beliefs with love and respect and I hope that any of you who have met or had dealings with me will agree. I don't need a faith based sub forum to serve as a comfort bubble...just a little courtesy and respect from those who don't share my beliefs.

As for all of the dislike for Christians who openly share their faith...sorry if you are offended, but it is expected of us.

Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for all of the dislike for Christians who openly share their faith...sorry if you are offended, but it is expected of us.

Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

The Bible also commands you do unto others as you would have them do....yet you have no patience for the preachings of atheists or those who worship a God other than yours.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we have at least a couple Muslim members. Why don't they complain about the constant trashing of Islam that goes on here?

Om that note, why do no Christians here seem to speak up when Muslims are being trashed? It occurs far more frequently than Christianity-bashing. Is it because Muslims deserve ridicule but Christians never do?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Bible also commands you do unto others as you would have them do....yet you have no patience for the preachings of atheists or those who worship a God other than yours.

The command that you have quoted equates with loving your neighbor as yourself. If I love my neighbor as myself, I would be compelled to share the gospel with him rather than sit in silence and not care about his well-being.

At no point have I indicated that I have no patience for the opposing viewpoint so do me a favor and stop pigeonholing me into your feelings of what a "Christian" is or does. I have actually enjoyed some of the input provided by our atheist and agnostic members in recent religion based threads (I haven't seen many if any posts from members that practice another form of religion). Some of the comments are very insightful. What I don't have patience for is the name calling and irreverent comments made in jest about the God that Christians believe in. I find it disgusting, classless, and offensive and I would hope that you would too...maybe you don't.

For the record, I would like just once to hear what your personal beliefs and convictions are instead of playing devils advocate against every viewpoint. Don't take this as being snarky or a personal attack...just my own curiosity.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we have at least a couple Muslim members. Why don't they complain about the constant trashing of Islam that goes on here?

Om that note, why do no Christians here seem to speak up when Muslims are being trashed? It occurs far more frequently than Christianity-bashing. Is it because Muslims deserve ridicule but Christians never do?

As a Christian, I would speak up for the muslims except that I am definitely bigoted toward them.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a Christian, I would speak up for the muslims except that I am definitely bigoted toward them.

That's cool, as long as you don't whine when Christians get theirs too, so to speak. And you don't.

Others on the other hand, feel that they deserve to be able to bash, swear, curse, make weird homoerotic sexual innuendo (dogboy's go-to), and still receive blanket protection from any "bigots" they may mot give them the constant validation they seem to require.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The command that you have quoted equates with loving your neighbor as yourself. If I love my neighbor as myself, I would be compelled to share the gospel with him rather than sit in silence and not care about his well-being.

At no point have I indicated that I have no patience for the opposing viewpoint so do me a favor and stop pigeonholing me into your feelings of what a "Christian" is or does. I have actually enjoyed some of the input provided by our atheist and agnostic members in recent religion based threads (I haven't seen many if any posts from members that practice another form of religion). Some of the comments are very insightful. What I don't have patience for is the name calling and irreverent comments made in jest about the God that Christians believe in. I find it disgusting, classless, and offensive and I would hope that you would too...maybe you don't.

For the record, I would like just once to hear what your personal beliefs and convictions are instead of playing devils advocate against every viewpoint. Don't take this as being snarky or a personal attack...just my own curiosity.

I believe....that my religious beliefs are none of your business. I believe that based on your statements above, that you would make a good Muslim. I do not take offense to negative comments about my God, through his grace I have learned to turn the other cheek. I take offense to people using my God as an excuse to exclude and hate others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom