Air-powered weapon Sub Forum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not everybody lives in the country with a 200 yard open area with a 16 ft high target berm available. Lots of city-limit folks take care of pests with airguns. Don't snicker too loud, they've come a long way since the old Red Ryder shoot-your-eye-out versions, with lots of models perfectly suited to small game hunting, and some versions (in .45 and .50 cal) capable of delivering sufficiently serious short and midrange energy for even larger game where legal. But in the context of this post I'm talking mostly about the commonly available quiet, low-key springer, gas piston, and pneumatic .177 and .22 pellet rifles that operate at sub-sonic velocities for quietness, but can also easily reach velocities in the 1200-1300 fps and higher. These are not toys, and should never be thought of as such. But they enjoy a huge advantage in how they are treated legally and in the public's eyes: No Feds, no licensing, no FFL's, no ATF, selling/trading/shipping is generally legal in and out of state, relatively low investment for a lot of shooting fun, no range trips, VERY cheap ammo, and quite effective on small game and pests as well as Bud Light cans. In fact, I'd be surprised if a lot of you OSA members don't, like me, own and occasionally shoot at least one air powered weapon of some sort. So how about creating a sub forum for kicking around things on that general subject?

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If asked, I'd vote for an Air-Powered weapon forum vs a thread. My boys and I are seriously invested in air-rifles, air-pistol, and have pondered getting an arrow gun.

Calibers we have for pre-charged pneumatic weapons are .177, .22. .25, .30, and .45. Their hunting capability range from head shots on pest birds at 100 yards to harvesting elk in designated areas.

The discussions on calibers, balistics, ammo, compressors, storage tanks, suppressors, accessories, competition training routines, judging wind/holdover, etc. are potentially endless.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I asked for an Optics and Electro-Optics subforum and it was determined the gear forum is enough for that noise although I'd say a third or more of the threads in the gear forum are optics/night vision centric.

So you're saying a thread or two or three warrant their own subforum?

Latest posts

Top Bottom