The problem with SYG.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://gawker.com/5918397/man-who-used-stand-your-ground-law-to-defend-shooting-neighbor-over-loud-music-found-guilty-of-murder

Man Who Used ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law to Defend Shooting Neighbor Over Loud Music Found Guilty of Murder

A Texas jury rejected a retired firefighter's claim that the state's stand-your-ground law gave him the right to shoot and kill an unarmed neighbor for allegedly playing loud music during a party.

Raul Rodriguez's defense attorney argued that his client is protected by the so-called Castle Doctrine because the altercation that resulted in the shooting death of 36-year-old elementary school teacher Kelly Danaher took place in the street.

"He had a right to be (in) the street," said Neal Davis. "He was not provoking anybody. He was not engaged in any criminal activity. The (stand-your-ground) law is not only for home invasions. That's why the law was changed."

Indeed, the Texas version of the controversial law allows for the use of deadly force in self-defense outside the home, but cannot be used as a shield if the person using force provoked the attack.

Prosecutors Kelli Johnson and Donna Logan maintained that Rodriguez was the aggressor when he armed himself with a gun and a camera and headed over to Danaher's home to complain about the noise.

In the footage he recorded, Rodriguez is heard telling a police dispatcher his life was in danger, but Johnson said it was Rodriguez who "lured" Danaher and two others onto the street "and threatened them by brandishing his gun."

"Raul Rodriguez is a neighborhood bully who had a CHL, an arsenal of weapons and a knowledge of the law," said Logan. "He felt he had the ultimate control, the control to decide who lives and who dies."

The jury sided with the prosecutors and voted to convict Rodriguez of murder. Sentencing will take place following additional testimony.

Houston criminal defense attorney Grant Scheiner said the Castle Doctrine might be clarified as a result of this trial — particularly "what it means to provoke someone" — but no major changes to the law should be expected.

Another link to the same story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/raul-rodriguez-stand-your-ground-texas-shooting_n_1631066.html

This is the kind of stories that will be used against SYG laws in this next push against our rights. A moron ******* that shoots a neighbor over a stupid party.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That video is crazy. To me when the guy grabs a camera and his gun he wanted to get into an altercation. And he took the camera to try and make it look like he was being assaulted so when he shot the guy he would get off. But who knows. Just an idiot in my books. I have had to go next door and tell my neighbor to turn his music down. After already having to do it. And didn't take my gun when I went. When he refused to do it I went back in the house and called the police. They came and my neighbor has never turned it up again. Problem solved without having to kill someone.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not how the authors of SYG laws intended it to be used. What this guy did was absolutely a violation of the spirit of the law, if not the letter. Any law requires a reasonable application and understanding. There was nothing reasonable about this. :(

Gatorshark

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The defense knew they had nothing when they attempted to hide behind STand Your Ground. Much like the scum state government prosecution in Florida knew they had no case.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the problem with the SYG law? The jury didn't buy the defense, and he was convicted of murder. You might be able to convince me it is a problem when guys are doing stuff like this and getting away with it.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the problem with the SYG law? The jury didn't buy the defense, and he was convicted of murder. You might be able to convince me it is a problem when guys are doing stuff like this and getting away with it.
The problem is that this guy thought that what he was doing was legal. That's why he brought the camera and kept repeating that he feared for his life. Brought a camera? Jesus.
No, he didn't get away with it, but the other guy is still dead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom