The Retired Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2009 was the start of my new chapter of life. Since then we have moved to OKC, done some traveling, and I do special projects for a CPA firm. Those things plus getting to spend time with my grandsons at their sports activities, etc. keep me well occupied! My advice for anyone approaching retirement is to make sure you have things in your life that can keep you busy! Not having any structure after a lifetime of working can become a problem!

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I retired the first time from the corporate world in 2001 with a nice buyout.. Invested wisely, laid out for a year doing absolutely nothing but what I wanted to, then worked for the sheriff's dept for a year, then worked as a newspaper reporter for a small town weekly, then as I/T director for a school district until I had to retire due to increasing disabilities. Went 100% from the VA about 4 years ago and would give it back if I could get my health back. Now wife and I are both retired, enjoying grandkids every couple of months, (they live in Texas) and piddling at the range when I can.. Each day I get up and see daylight instead of dirt is a blessing.. Sometimes the pain gets large, but it will go away if I behave myself..

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it was May 2011. Thirty seven years with the federal government was enough for me. Enjoyed it for many years but the last few years was just wearing me out. Wife retired three weeks ago. Six year old grandson, travel and firearms to keep me busy for right now.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I will both retire at the end of June. Two weeks after we retire, we will be living in an RV park in the Colorado Springs area. Since I will be a LOT closer to the mountains, I imagine I will do a "fair bit" of photography. However, I have to think that I will have to find at least some kind of part time job to do. I started helping my Grandpa with the farming and cattle when I was 14 and I'm almost 68 now. I'm not sure I could handle retirement that didn't include some kind of work.

However, the whole planning thing is in flux until it actually happens.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first retirement check is due to hit in April! I'll probably still work a couple days a week if we have any work in the shop. If not I plan to keep the freezer stocked with fish and venison till I'm no longer able.

Always figgured that if I didn't see my obituary in the paper, it was going to be a good day!

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took an early out way back in 96. We spent a few years spending a lot of time at the lake. We sold the place at the lake. I have been working part time for a title company as a courier. Since I worked it IT, I spent most of my time in windows less offices. It is nice to be out and about and it brings in a little extra money for hobbies. The wife and I try to go shooting at least once a month, but some times other things get in the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom