The trap line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man has it really shown me this year the difference between reliable, budget and good firearms. Round count reveals everything

Lots of plain janes have proven to be reliable. Lots of budget guns have failed on the line. And lots of Good guns have shown why they can demand a premium. Most notorious offenders of this so far have been 870’s, Stoegers, Berettas

Warning—— hot take——don’t read this if you get butt hurt ——And sweet 16’s still suck.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Probably no different than any other item. Folks get brand loyal and swear by them because they worked with no issues while the next guy has the same experience with another brand. Vehicles, appliances, etc all the same. Also have to compare apples to apples, which gets over looked a lot imo. For example a guy moans about the pulling power of his 6.6l gas Chevy, so he goes and buys a 6.7lHO diesel Ford and raves about how much better it does.......well yeah, about 700ft/lbs of torque better lol. Folks make comparisons like that a lot, with firearms as well.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been using the same 870 48 years but heard from numerous sources that newer ones are crap.
You know, idk. The 870’s I recognize are all older. Look like hand-me-downs. And they all just seem to function. A very utilitarian tool, but they function.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably no different than any other item. Folks get brand loyal and swear by them because they worked with no issues while the next guy has the same experience with another brand. Vehicles, appliances, etc all the same. Also have to compare apples to apples, which gets over looked a lot imo. For example a guy moans about the pulling power of his 6.6l gas Chevy, so he goes and buys a 6.7lHO diesel Ford and raves about how much better it does.......well yeah, about 700ft/lbs of torque better lol. Folks make comparisons like that a lot, with firearms as well.
In this case I have no skin in the game other than sitting back and observing. I do root for the B-guns as that’s what I bought for the daughter but in the end I’m just watching to see how the kids do and what has failed them after 2 seasons or less

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Man has it really shown me this year the difference between reliable, budget and good firearms. Round count reveals everything

Lots of plain janes have proven to be reliable. Lots of budget guns have failed on the line. And lots of Good guns have shown why they can demand a premium. Most notorious offenders of this so far have been 870’s, Stoegers, Berettas

Warning—— hot take——don’t read this if you get butt hurt ——And sweet 16’s still suck.

You know, idk. The 870’s I recognize are all older. Look like hand-me-downs. And they all just seem to function. A very utilitarian tool, but they function.
I'm confused. Are you saying the 870s are doing well or not. :anyone:

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. The 870’s seem to hold up and do well. They beat the crap out of the kids but they continue to work.

My 3 offenders list was 870’s seem reliable. Stoegers seem to keep failing, and lots are moving to the beretta’s (a lot of a400’s) because they seem to hold up and shoot damn soft.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
In this case I have no skin in the game other than sitting back and observing. I do root for the B-guns as that’s what I bought for the daughter but in the end I’m just watching to see how the kids do and what has failed them after 2 seasons or less
Yeah I've got two 30yo Hi-Point 40S&W that have been flawless. Dad bought them both used at a garage sale for next to nothing lol.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always find it interesting when people say their a400 is soft shooting. Only because that has not been my experience with them. I sold them solely for that reason. I am absolutely Not saying anyone is wrong, because recoil is a lot about the person pulling the trigger’s perception. But I’ve had three (excel w/ kickoff, explor and explor w/kickoff) and id classify none of them as soft shooting. I realize I’m in the minority, but that’s been my experience. And just based on takedown/cleaning- they seemed mechanically overly complicated compared to the 301/2/3 series guns. They all worked and patterned well though.

Edited to add: the guns weren’t hard to dissemble or clean. They just appeared overly complicated to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom