The wieght of bullet for practice and carrying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegomezclan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on practicing the same size weight bullet that you uses when you conceal carry or soon to be open carry? I carry a 9mm with 147gr hollowpoints. Should practice with the same size ball ammo?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...Why aren't you practicing with the rounds you intend to carry? I know they cost a lot for a few defensive rounds, but I'd rather know how they handle in my pistol before I get a stovepipe or FTF when the fecal matter hits the rotary oscillator.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many reasons to practice...besides pure marksmanship. Building skill, muscle memory, rehearsing drills, movement and all that jazz.....I don't need to shoot my carry load exclusively to accomplish that, nor would my wallet allow it.

Sure, if there was a radical difference in POI and felt recoil I'd find a practice load that is closer to my carry load, but for most of us it is minutia.

Last edited:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SMS said:
There are many reasons to practice...besides pure marksmanship. Building skill, muscle memory, rehearsing drills, movement and all that jazz.....I don't need to shoot my carry load exclusively to accomplish that, nor would my wallet allow it.

Sure, if there was a radical difference in POI and felt recoil I'd find a practice load that is closer to my carry load, but for most of us it is minutia.
Good response.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score

it says this is a good response above, but I'm skeptical. again, if you practice with a particular load, why aren't you carrying that round in your firearm at all times? what is the point of switching rounds? why aren't you carrying the practice rounds? is something inherently wrong enough that you don't trust them? but you continue to practice with them? I'm cornfused. statistics say that a hole is a hole at 25 feet or less. why not carry the cheap stuff if that's what you shoot? (btw, just a little pot stirring)

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it says this is a good response above, but I'm skeptical. again, if you practice with a particular load, why aren't you carrying that round in your firearm at all times? what is the point of switching rounds? why aren't you carrying the practice rounds? is something inherently wrong enough that you don't trust them? but you continue to practice with them? I'm cornfused. statistics say that a hole is a hole at 25 feet or less. why not carry the cheap stuff if that's what you shoot? (btw, just a little pot stirring)

Hollow point bullets expand and are more expensive. I rarely target shoot with them but carry them exclusively. Round Nose FMJ bullets are cheap so that's what I practice with. I wont go into full detail about all of it, too much to write. No pot stirred here. A hole through a sheet of target paper is a hole at 25 feet, true. Add depth to that target and it changes things drastically based on projectile geometry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom